Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #91855 12/31/10 11:45 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    My 6 year 10 month old daughter tested on the RIAS with a VIX of 125, NIX of 131 and A CIX composite intelligence of 131, 98th percentile. Also so is this considered in the top 2 percent like for MENSA qualifications. SHe has shown tremendous improvement since starting elementary school and so have we as parents parenting we are young twentys full time student and working parents with a low SES I am A Nursing student but we did not stimulate as we do now when she was three or four thus she has now been getting noticed in 1st grade, but we work together and do girl scous and all so do you think she could improve that score or that it is indicative of future intelligence ?

A
    A
    132 is the Mensa qualifying score for the RIAS, so yes, she is very close to qualifying.

I think this score indicates that your daughter is very bright, possibly gifted, and you should encourage her to develop her talents and interests. That score is an indication of current and future intelligence, but it could certainly vary a few points either way in the years.

Happy New Year Murse.
    Please don't be down on yourself for not 'stimulating' earlier. The point is to be loving parents and spend time together doing things you both/all enjoy. For lots of gifted families this looks a little different than what TV families enjoy together. I think the point is to 'not stop yourself' from having that deep discussion or cool information or learning together sharing because of some old voice-recording in your head about what kids are supposed to be like and what families are supposed to be like.

If the school is suggesting that you read together more or whatever, it's great that you tried it and if you find a part of your 'mom-gut' telling you 'yes, yes' then make it part of your family life.

If a score is close enough to any cut-off then yes, it is likely to bounce around a bit by luck. If you are asking if the interaction will increase the score - it sort of depends on how drastically ignored your DD was in that past. And it is very hard to judge ourselves. And if your family NEEDED to put it's energy elsewhere for a time to make things go well in the long term - than that is the absolute right thing to do!

By now you've figured out that I believe that everything in family life is a fine line! Trust the 'mom-gut' but get rid of the 'old voice-recording.' Sacrifice for the children, but not too much. Posting and reading here might help. Sharing with real-life friends and mentors should help. Trial and error is the ultimate teacher!

When my son was that age, I flat out choose a 'mentor mommy' to give me advice and set me straight so I could quit worrying over questions I couldn't answer yet.

Welcome,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM