Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you for your assistance with all of my questions. I am new on this journey and the folks on this forum have been incredibly helpful to me. I hope that some day I can return the favor.

I just received our daughter's scaled scores for her WISC.
    My question has to do with why they didn't give her the extended test. I did not expect scores nearly this high, so it did not cross my mind to ask.

Verbal Comprehension:

Similarities 19
    Vocabulary 17
    Information 17
    Comprehension was not give, information substituted instead.

Perceptual Reasoning:

Block Design 13
    Picture Concepts 17
    Matrix Reasoning 15

Working Memory

Digit Span 12
    Letter-Number Sequencing 11

Processing Speed

Coding 7
    Symbol Search 12

Last edited by Treasuremapper; 05/27/10 03:22 PM.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you, Dottie. Yikes, I can't even keep all of this stuff straight. I am wondering why her fluid reasoning scores are 160 for WJ-III but her perceptual reasoning on the WISC is 130. I'll go back and edit it!

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Well, extended scores wouldn't really add much to this picture. The Similarities score is the only one that might move (which would in turn move VCI, GAI and FSIQ). Her VCI there is already 146 (using the 19/17/17), so a higher score wouldn't really tell you much more than that she is extremely high in verbal. And raising the other scores could be misleading, since the 19 is the outlier. She does have some hefty spreads overall. This is the daughter with the high reading scores, right? Her verbal is pretty much ceiling level, without even considering extended scoring. It could be higher....but knowing "99.9th percentile" really tells you pretty much as is. The perceptual is also quite good (130), and that difference shouldn't be a concern. The lower WMI/PSI scores though might have educational impact.

(P.S...what you've posted are actually scaled scores. If you do indeed have raw scores, we could calculate any possible extended scoring, but I suspect you are just confusing the two based on what you've shared.)

Dottie, enquiring minds want to know. I want to know just how high she goes here on the subtest where she had a score of 19. I guess that's the whole point of extended scoring. Does she have to hit the ceiling on two subtests?

Last edited by Treasuremapper; 05/27/10 08:10 PM.
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Just to clarify that the same test is given and then extended scores can be calculated. Or maybe you were referring to the fact that she was given Information instead of Comprehension? I wonder if the tester usually does that, or if the decision was made in particular to your dd's case. My dd's WPPSI information score was significantly lower than the rest of her verbal scores. When she had WISC a couple of years later, we asked that she got the Information as well.

For extended scores, I just provided our tester with the techical report links and she calculated them for us. I don't think you need to have more than one subtest with a ceiling in order to get extended scores (unlike the GAI for which you do).

BTW, did you get or calculated the GAI?

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Her FSIQ was 130, her GAI was 147 for the WISC.

Thank you. I emailed the tester's assistant, along with a link to the Technical Report, to ask if she could do it for me.

The tester used a different subtest because my daughter refused to do the other one.

Last edited by Treasuremapper; 05/27/10 08:15 PM.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I just found this, which is slightly different:

http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=2455

"Despite these limitations, testers should consult the Extended Norms if a child achieves at least one scaled score of 19 or two of 18 and modify scaled, Composite, GAI and Full Scale IQ scores accordingly."

Using that criteria (explained in way more detail on the link), it would seem that our daughter's score should be evaluated on the extended score.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM