Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 119 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    Belle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    We are wanting to test DS7 to apply for DYS....he took the RIAS last summer and scored a 145 but we need to take one of the required tests needed for DYS ....either the Wechsler or the SB. We would also like to have a more "accepted/known" IQ test in our paperwork since we homeschool. Would love to hear opinions...I have read all kinds of different posts until my eye balls hurt and still am stuck on which to pick....

DS7 has Dyspraxia and some visual tracking issues, is a perfectionist and does not like timed tests. He is very math/science but will talk your head off if you get on a subject/area he is really into.... He took the SBV right when he turned 5 and he scored a 130 but the assessor said she could tell that DS was just not into it and she felt it was not a very valid score....he seems to score higher on verbal than nonverbal in some cases...

....on the SBV he took years ago he did very well on Fluid Reasoning (nonverbal FR he scored a 17 on the subtest), Quantitative Reasoning and Visual Spatial (verbal VS was high and he scored an 18 on that subtest- she said she could tell that this area was a passion of his)..I don't know the ceiling levels on those tests...but would think those are close?? His low, low, low points were in Verbal Working Memory and the verbal/non-verbal Knowledge subtests...the assesor said the super low scores in these 2 areas greatly affected his overall score pulling it way down and I guess why she stated she didn't feel it was an accurate look at him.

Would you suggest going back to try the SBV now that we have 2 years of growth/maturity under out belt? I am worried that the Wechsler has stuff like picture completion/comparing pictures or object building which would be difficult with visual issues and dyspraxia and I thought it had timed aspects to it which could throw him as well. Would love to hear opinions!

M
    M
    This may not be the most insightful response you get, but I'll share my story anyway. I did all kinds of research up front on which test, but in the end, the local tester I chose only uses the WISC and didn't give me an option. When I switched tactics and went with a real expert in PG, I found that they looked at the kids and chose the best tests for me. What is more, but picking a real expert, I didn't feel like I had to make that call. It costs money and for us it required travel, but it is one way to answer the question: choose the tester rather than the test.

Maybe others have more insight into the different tests.

Mary

Mary

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets