Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Not sure if that is the appropriate title, but I'm looking at DSs subtest scores and trying to understand what they mean.

I've read posts in which folks are discussing the subtest scores and sound so knowledgeable about them, but I just don't get it. Granted, this was our first experience with testing so I did alot of listening and nodding during the IEP meeting because I thought I understood what was being said, but seeing the understanding that folks here seem to have about the scores tells me I really don't get it.

Do they provide a guide to the strengths/weaknesses that make up the whole? Is the information contained in the numbers of the subtests a clearer picture than the summary? Why are substitutions done? By my DSs scores, I see that the substituted category score was definitely higher than the score it replaced, but how would the tester know to substitute?

Perhaps it's the whole testing process that I don't get yet, and not just the scores. I'm sure that a deeper understanding of all of this won't affect anything, but it sure as heck would make me feel better......I think. blush

Yes, the subtest scores can be helpful guides to strengths and weaknesses depending on the pattern of the results and the quality of the assessment. Without knowing which test you're referring to or what the scores are it's difficult to say much more than that. If you'd care to share more information perhaps you would get more specific feedback.

Substitutions are usually done in order to assure that the highest score is attained, on the assumption that this is a more accurate assessment of the child's intellectual ability.

Patricia

Patricia - HS mom to 13 yo twins
    J - 2E, Crohn's, HoH, Dyspraxia, Bipolar/ASD?
    E - 2E, Aud Process+
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for the reply. DS took the WISC-IV and the WIAT-II. The WISC-IV was administered by the school psychologist, the WIAT-II by the gifted ed personnel. The breakdowns follow:

WISC
    Verbal Comprehension

Similarities - 18
    Vocabulary - 18
    Comprehension - 14
    (Information) - NA
    (Word Reasoning) - NA

Perceptual Reasoning
    Block Design - 14*
    Picture Concepts - 15
    Matrix Reasoning - 18
    (Picture Completion) - 16*
    Picture Completion substituted for Block Design

Working Memory
    Digit Span - 12*
    Letter Number Seq - 13
    (Arithmetic) - 18*
    Arithmetic substituted for Digit Span

Processing Speed
    Coding - 12
    Symbol Search - 12
    (Cancellation) - NA

WIAT
    Reading

Word Reading - 136
    Reading Comprehension - 145
    Pseudoword Decoding - 128

Math
    Numerical Operations - 137
    Math Reasoning - 149

I understand the the WMI and PSI most likely brought down the FSIQ. I guess I just wonder what the subtests tell me? I know what I think his strengths/weaknesses are, but is there a pattern that I'm not aware of, is he getting the right things based on where his needs fall? <---Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks for your help in understanding all of this.

1. You may want to ask if your child's scores qualified for extended scoring since she got multiple 18's. You can figure it out yourself if you have the raw scores and know her chronological age at the time of the test.

2. What did the assessor give as her index scores on the WISC IV?

Patricia

Last edited by rlsnights; 05/04/09 08:22 PM.

E - 2E, Aud Process+
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I don't think I'll ever grasp all of this, LOL!

What is "extended scoring"? He was 8y9m at testing, but the report doesn't have raw scores. I don't know that I'll be meeting with the school psychologist again, we're moving in a few weeks. Dumb question, but would she have kept raw data once it's compiled into the report provided to me (IOW, is there a requirement to do so?)?

When you say "index scores" do you mean the composites? If so, they are VCI-140, PRI-139, WMI-132, PSI-112, and FSIQ-141.

Yes, she should still have the raw scores. I would ask for them since your son scored that high.

Extended scoring is scaled score equivalents for raw scores that exceed the regular scoring tables. Generally if a child scores 18+ on 2 or more subtests then it is worth checking to see if they qualified for higher scores using the extended scoring tables.

I can either tell you the extended scores (once you get the raw scores) or give you a link to the tables for you to figure it out yourself. But if you ask the school psych about it, she should tell you whether she checked that or not. If she didn't she should have and you could insist she do so.

Yes those are the index scores (that's the I in each of the labels).

I'll check a couple things and post again in a little bit. Want to check to see if they should have done a GAI instead of a FSIQ given the difference in the index scores.

Also, were there composite scores for the WIAT? Was it the WIAT II?

Patricia

Last edited by rlsnights; 05/04/09 08:42 PM.

E - 2E, Aud Process+
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for taking the time to explain these things. I appreciate the help in understanding the subtests.

Yes, he took the WIAT-II. The composite scores for both reading and math were 153 (>99.9%).

I'll try to contact the school psychologist to see if I can get the raw data for the WISC-thanks for the tip.

It looks like the examiner could have chosen to use the General Ability Index instead of the FSIQ. When you call her about the raw scores, ask her about that too.

The GAI would be 148 vs. the FSIQ of 141.

Patricia

E - 2E, Aud Process+
    E
    E
    rlsnights,

can you give the link to the tables to figure out extended scoring just for my information? My DS has subtest scores of 17 so its probably not applicable but I am a numbers geek and would love to understand it smile

Here's the link to the WISC IV technical report #7 which describes the use of extended norms and has the tables at the end to use. You do have to have your child's raw scores in order to use the tables.

http://pearsonassess.com/NR/rdonlyres/C1C19227-BC79-46D9-B43C-8E4A114F7E1F/0/WISCIV_TechReport_7.pdf

E - 2E, Aud Process+
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM