Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    My wife and I are both teachers. Our daughter who is 5 has been going to Montessori for 2 years. Her teacher had suggested that we might want to have her tested, so we contacted a psychologist who recommended we wait until she turned 6 to get a more reliable score. Little girl stated she wanted to go back to Montessori for Kindergarten so we felt ok, we'll wait. Over the summer she made friends in our neighborhood who are going to the local Elementary.
    She changed her mind two weeks before school started and said she wants to go to public school in the first grade. Ok we thought, she can read on a late first/early second level; she adds and subtracts, has great imagination and a cute sense of humor. She should be able to charm her way into first grade easily we thought, give a couple of calls, use inside connections/"professional courtesy", and we'll have a done deal in a couple of days, right?
    Wrong.
    We had to register her for kindergarten, even though we said we had no interest in putting her into kindergarten, then an S-Team had to be called. We said we didn't want to have an IEP. My wife teaches SpEd at the high school level, so she doesn't want another IEP to deal with, I'm at a middle school and don't want her getting to that level being labeled as different. We tell them we don't want her certified, we just want to skip kindergarten, we show them the policies and quotes from 'A Nation Deceived'. Still the answer is no, we need the s-team to do this. We schedule the S-Team meeting for two working days before school starts. We are told not to bring her as there won't be any testing being done. She and I stay up late doing some bonding watching her favorite shows on discovery health, (she likes Mystery Diagnosis ). I got a call at my school 3 hours before the meeting asking us to bring her. Yep, they decided to test her. She felt she did awful on the WJ3 but the scores we got from the school psychologist over the phone tell a different story, Broad Reading 99.8 % and a standard score of 144; Math was 86% @ 116, Academic Knowledge was 87% @117. So can she get into first grade? Not for another 2-3 weeks, maybe. They want to put her into kindergarten and have extension and differentiated enrichment while evaluating if she should be accelerated.
    So we'll go ahead and have her start 1st grade at the Montessori School and dream of the enrichment we could have provided with the extra money to travel during the summer instead of teaching summer school to make up for it.
    It just makes me want to pull out my hair.

Q
    Q
    Sorry it's so difficult, and welcome.

Have you looked at the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual? Maybe that could speed the process up a bit...

My DS was accelerated to first grade in April of his K year. It worked out fine. He will be starting 2nd grade in the fall.

I'm sure you are familiar with the hoops schools make people jump through. I'm sorry it's such a long process.

Last edited by Cathy A; 08/13/08 08:58 PM.
    Mia Offline
    Ahh, welcome to the wonderful world of trying to get accommodations!

Sad to say, but it's not that uncommon what you're going through. We had my ds tested privately two months into public K -- he'd done a year at Montessori previously, and for a number of unfortuante circumstances forced us to switch to public school for K. Even with test scores in hand putting him in the >99.9th percentile for both reading and math on the WIAT, they refused to accelerate to first grade, or even subject accelerate. And we tried for the better part of the year.

Yeah, he's going to a private gifted school this fall.

The Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual is a great tool, when used properly (our public school refused to use it the way it was intended, skipping steps and doing it their own way). I highly recommend picking up a copy and seeing what you think; you can get them for $30 on Amazon, and probably on Ebay as well.

Welcome to the board! And much commiseration from here.

Mia
    Sorry to hear that. We had to go through similar hoops as well. In our case we had our DS5 tested privately ($$$) and then presented our case. Took all summer to do and we're still waiting for the final step: this Thursday our decision goes up to the board of directors to get voted on.

So we feel your pain!

JB

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM