Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi everyone!
    My DS7 was tested by the school pysch. last month and after getting the results I'm thinking about doing the DYS application. His results on the WISC-IV would just qualify him, but the school used an achievement test called the Woodcock-McGrew-Werder Mini Battery of Achievement which isn't on Davidson's list.
    So my main question deals with would DYS accept that achievement test? If not then should I just send some of my son's work or should I request a different test from the school and explain what I'm using it for? I don't have extra money to get an outside source to give him the test really.
    Any advice on the application process would be most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    moni

You really have nothing to lose by doing it that way. If they want further info or achievement testing after reviewing the porfolio, they will ask you for it.
    They really are nice about it.

Neato

moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you both for your help. I did send them an e-mail asking the same question, but haven't heard back yet.
    It is good to know that people have been accepted by portfolio and one test score. Now I just have to figure out what to include in a portfolio and I'm not sure how easy it will be to have my DS teacher and or principal to fill out the recommendation form so close to the end of school.
    Please feel free to share advice if you've done portfolio...
    Thanks,
    Moni

I didn't have to do this, but if we'd been asked for more info, I'd have sent video of my DS6. I think it's hard to show on paper just how HG+ a younger kid is, since even the most PG of them are rarely writing novels or curing cancer (yet) at that age. But when you see an HG+ child in action, you know it. I think video (or even audio) is much more effective.

Also, I recommend remembering that you need to distinguish not between an ND (normal development) child and a GT one, but between an MG child and an HG+ one. There's a big difference there!

Highlight the strongest areas, the ones where your DS7 is operating at least 3+ years above grade level.

Best wishes on the application! smile

Kriston
    Can I piggy back another question? What is the acceptance rate if kid gets 145+ on VCI or PRI but not FSIQ, and 145+ on achievement? Does 145+ Total vs only in a broad reading or math or writing give preferential acceptance? Do they accept all kids w/ the necessary testing numbers or do they then look at a pool of kids w/ the required numbers and choose amongst those based on portfolio and recommendation?

I don't know about preferential, but my DS6 got a 145+ on PRI only (he also showed as GT on VCI, but not 145+, and his FSIQ wasn't above 145) with 145+ on the WJ-3. He was accepted into DYS.

Since they have a rolling admission process that never ends, it's pretty clear that they accept all who qualify according to their standards. As my son shows, those standards do clearly include kids who score 145+ only only one of the three acceptable scores.

Kriston
    Like Kriston's son my son was accepted with SB-V score of VIQ 145+ (NVIQ and FSIQ both in the GT range but less than 145) and a 145+ score on the Broad Math of the WJ-III. The other broad scores were also in the GT range but not 145+.

His scores met the minimum criteria but I also included plenty of anecdotes talking about his ability. I also saw the recommendation form by his teacher and she talked about DS5 in a very good light.

Crisc
    Yes, lots of examples that differentiated between MG stuff and the HG+ stuff that DS6 was doing. I'm sure that helps!

Kriston
    DS5 was accepted with qualifying PIQ on WPPSI (150+ on WPPSI) and quite high Broad Math on WJ-III. As a matter of fact he didn't even have Total Achievement score on WJ-III because he wasn't given one of the subtests due to his age.

If you have the scores, go ahead and apply. You may be asked to add a portfolio if it's too close, but it's well worth applying.

LMom
    moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread. I heard back from Davidson about the AT and they wouldn't take it, but said to send it anyway. They told me to send portfolio items so after going through all of DS papers and journals I made some copies of mostly his creative writing pieces. I sent off the application yesterday. smile So now it is just waiting to hear the news. How long does it generally take to get the letter?
    Moni

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM