Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #232527 07/27/16 05:09 PM
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Wordplay is said to be a trait often exhibited by the gifted.

This SENG article What Your Kids Want You To Know by Jane Hesslein, from August 2010 explains that "the acronym HALT (Hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired?)... might be a starting place for parents in considering why a child is cranky."

More words have been crafted since then. For example, the portmanteau hangry is an amalgam of hungry + angry.

Recently, ads for the Snickers candy bar have coined a few more words along these lines, which may be of particular interest to the funnybones of gifted individuals with high creativity. In an ad campaign which states, "Hunger keeps inventing new problems...", we find words such as:
    Dimpatient: Dim + impatient
    Confulish: Confused + foolish

Have you ever been hangry, dimpatient, or confulish?

Possibly these neologisms will catch on and end up in common use, similar to motel (motor + hotel) and brunch (breakfast + lunch) or sniglets such as spork (spoon + fork).

Do you have any favorite word-play portmanteaux?

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Another portmanteau word... again, introduced by advertising... and specifically advertising for edibles.

Starburst candy has a commercial spot called " Volcano" which evidently dates back to 2013, although I have seen it aired recently. In this TV commercial we see the invented the words:
    - Juicedratric equation
    - Juicedratics

These are combinations of
    1) Juice + Quadratic equation,
    2) Juice + Quadratics

smile

J
    J
    My youngest calls portmanteau words that he particularly likes "portmantastic". I can't remember what any of them are, sadly.

jckdw #245931 08/23/19 12:09 AM
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by jckdw
    My youngest calls portmanteau words that he particularly likes "portmantastic". I can't remember what any of them are, sadly.
    How excellent, that he has made up his own portmantastic portmanteau! I think it would be great fun to ask him about the portmantastic words, and jot them down. He'll probably be tickled!

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Another portmanteau, introduced by adverstising.

This is a recent TV ad campaign featuring Danny DeVito as a spokesperson for Jersey Mike's Subs. https://alltvspots.com/2022/jersey-mikes-danny-devito-you-gotta-see-this-commercial

Danny DeVito stars in a new ad campaign for Jersey Mike’s.

In one of the spots, he tells viewers they have to see their sub freshly sliced, while watching a Mike Jersey’s employee slicing fresh turkey ham and provolone for sandwiches. “Yep, there’s some things you just gotta see,” he declares, mentioning some lovebirds (referring to a couple eating a sub from both ends) and a man “pulling off business and casual” (a reference to his suit consisting of shirt, tie, and blazer, worn with shorts – a combination he names “bizasual).

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Zooburbia is a combination of Zoo + suburbia... and is also the title of a book about animals living in the midst of residential neighborhoods.

https://www.amazon.com/Zooburbia-Meditations-Wild-Animals-Among/dp/1937006670
    Zooburbia, by Tai Moses (2010)
    Every animal has a story.

In ZOOBURBIA, urban naturalist Tai Moses launches a lively exploration into "the extraordinary, unruly, half-wild realm where human and animal lives overlap." The author's woodsy backyard at the base of the Oakland hills becomes a laboratory for encounters with a variety of animals, from deer, raccoons and squirrels to birds, lizards and feral cats. The more Moses learns about their natural histories, the more curious she becomes about their life histories--their stories. After a failed attempt at backyard farming, Moses turns her energies to wildlife gardening in an effort to restore some of the dwindling habitat that sustains our wild neighbors. A captivating blend of memoir, natural history and storytelling, illustrated with original linoleum block prints by Dave Buchen, Zooburbia is a magnifying lens turned to our everyday environment.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Back in 2003, the word "liarrhea" appeared in Season 3, Episode 6 of the Reba TV show, shouted as a humorous accusation, by the character Van.

A pormanteau of liar + diarrhea, a definition of liarrhea is offered on this printed T-shirt, mug, etc
    https://teeherivar.com/product/liarrhea-a-serious-condition/
    (I have no affiliation with this link or merchandise.)

Originally Posted by link
    li-ar-rhe-a
    A noun
    a serious condition that prevents people afflicted by it from telling the truth. A primary symptom includes the practice of claiming to have patriotic, moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.
    also see:
    hypocrite,
    deceit,
    deception,
    dishonesty,
    fraud,
    insincerity.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM