Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    There is a bunch of stuff about cancel culture and how people are losing their jobs for tweets years ago. DD is so careful about anything she posts. And really just uses Instagram to DM her friends. Something we have discussed years ago. And I consistently ask. She is very aware that this could block opportunities going forward, whether college acceptance or jobs.

Since I had about 4 posts removed in a recent discussion, one was one sentence that was kind of joke, I was wondering if anyone has heard of acceptances getting revoked more and more due to social media? Do they actually ask for all your accounts or do they just search on their own?

Are they going to search all comments to see if there was ever a comment that was politically incorrect? A picture in front of a state house years ago that had a confederate flag? And getting a job. They were talking about some young editor that had to resign because of 3 tweets years ago.

A
    A
    Oh good heavens, I hope not. We soon won't have any university graduates or workforce left if that’s the standard.

Everybody makes non-PC statements at some point in their lives. We're none of us immune. I love a good ribald joke, which would seldom fly in more puritanical circles. And my love of 70s and 80s Britcom would probably earn me a place on political death row.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail. IMO, the pendulum has swung too far away from censure of what is legally considered hate speech and diluted the public’s ability to discern hate speech. Sneering at my choice of espadrilles is not hate speech (though it is a marker of truly bad taste, because my shoes are terrific wink ), nor is disagreeing with my ideas - even vehemently.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    A year or two ago I remember reading a couple of news articles about this topic. In those reports, the issue they were focused on was high school students who were reporting their peers’ missteps to prospective colleges. It was presented as an example of the hypercompetetive atmosphere surrounding college admissions at some high schools. Basically kids (and I believe a parent or two) were sometimes anonymously reporting incidents involving other students- sometimes to their high school counseling office, sometimes directly to college admissions offices. And supposedly some of these reports led to admission offers being rescinded.

I am not aware of schools scouring social media sites- it’s hard to believe they would have the time or manpower to devote to thins, though I do know our students have been told it happens. I am probably outdated in my thinking, but I thought it was more related to underage alcohol / drug use or similar that could be problematic.

Last edited by cricket3; 03/22/21 09:09 AM.
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Those tools they use with machine learning to check resumes, for certain words or phrases could be adapted to check social media. It wouldn't require manpower anymore.

I remember the story a few years ago, where some boy lost his scholarship and admittance to Tulane or something due to a picture of him holding a beer at a party on his social media. That I can understand, but now it is a history of tweets or posts. This has not been an issue for many years. But I think they can check easily.

Last edited by Wren; 03/22/21 12:11 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM