Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    There is an ongoing thread on Ivy league admissions. The ivies and other very prestigious schools can afford need-blind admissions. The article below describes how need-aware admissions work at a selective private college. It discusses the correlation of SAT scores with family income but ignores research showing that SAT scores are more correlated to parental education than wealth and that the correlation to income is weak when parental education is accounted for. The article suggests that higher SAT scores of rich kids is due to test prep, but test prep has not been shown to raise scores substantially, and it is accessible to low-income students, as discussed in a blog post SAT Prep for the Ultra-Rich, And Everyone Else.

What College Admissions Offices Really Want
    Elite schools say they’re looking for academic excellence and diversity.
    But their thirst for tuition revenue means that wealth trumps all.
    By PAUL TOUGH
    New York Times
    SEPT. 9, 2019

Like most enrollment managers, Pérez contracts with an outside financial-aid-optimization company to perform econometric modeling on his applicant pool. The company he worked with, the year I was following his progress, was Hardwick Day, a firm based in Bloomington, Minn., that, after a recent round of consolidation in the industry, is now a division of a giant higher-education consulting company called EAB. Hardwick Day’s predictive models allowed its analysts to identify, based on the behavior of past students, precisely what tuition each individual applicant would probably be willing to pay. A white student from Danbury with, say, a 3.1 G.P.A. and a 1,200 SAT? Hardwick Day’s models might predict that if Trinity offered him a $15,000 discount, he would accept, but if it offered him a $5,000 discount, he would go to the University of Connecticut instead.

W
    W
    During my last year in NYC, I used to walk the dogs with a group, including a father (princeton grad), whose daughter has a unattractive SAT score. She did the prep and significantly improved her math score. Also, don't know if it was prep or what, but a daughter of a friend, who also just graduated from DD's school, had a bad SAT and retook and had a significant change. Got into Stanford early. So not first hand experience. I know the first had prep involved. But both had significant changes in SAT scores.

I suffered though the entirety of that codswallop (the article that Bostonian referenced itself) hoping to see something insightful, relevant and actually plausible. My hopes were dashed.

Become what you are
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    ... predictive models allowed its analysts to identify, based on the behavior of past students, precisely what tuition each individual applicant would probably be willing to pay...
    ... student from Danbury with, say, a 3.1 G.P.A. and a 1,200 SAT? Hardwick Day’s models might predict that if Trinity offered him a $15,000 discount, he would accept, but if it offered him a $5,000 discount, he would go to the University of Connecticut instead...
    I find this chilling. A use of gathered statistics to manipulate an individual outcome. Which means that if someone at the college did NOT want a particular student to attend, they could fix the price in a manner likely to cause the student to choose to attend elsewhere... ultimately stating it was the student's decision (and ignoring the fact that they manipulated the circumstances to obtain their desired result).

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I suffered though the entirety of that codswallop (the article that Bostonian referenced itself) hoping to see something insightful, relevant and actually plausible. My hopes were dashed.
    If you really want to suffer smile you can read the author's new book "The Years That Matter Most: How College Makes or Breaks Us", reviewed at https://marginalrevolution.com/marg...most-how-college-makes-or-breaks-us.html .

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM