Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I was in the car listening to a report that they were within 10 years of manipulating the embryo to pick one with enhanced intelligence. It is like listening to the advances made for increased longevity. The poor are not going to get these advances. We are within 10 years of serious division within the classes. It is seriously scarey.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I think that division is already here.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Wren
    manipulating the embryo to pick one with enhanced intelligence
    1) Identifying an embryo with enhanced intelligence would seem to indicate that a gene has been found which correlates with higher intelligence? Ancestry, 23andMe, etc, might be expected to begin assessing for this in the samples received, and sharing results to members?

2) Choosing an embryo for it's level of intelligence brings to mind the opening chapter(s) of the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1931/1932), summarized by SparkNotes here, and also in a 2-minute video by SparkNotes.

In this SagePub article from 2003, John H. Evans discusses the concept:
    a brave new world? how genetic technology could change us

Not all would agree that embryo selection is a benefit:

To the degree that selecting one embryo means de-selecting other embryos, resulting in their death, both this research and the option to exercise such a process personally may not be seen as desirable for those who regard God as our creator and author of life and death.

To the degree that our society treats the gifted poorly (as outliers whose academic growth is to be capped, closing achievement gaps and excellence gaps, in order to report achieving equal outcomes for all pupils) choosing an embryo for high intelligence may not be seen as a desirable activity or a competitive advantage for many families.

Originally Posted by Wren
    The poor are not going to get these advances. We are within 10 years of serious division within the classes.
    The US does not have a caste society, but a fluid society in which many have been able to achieve "The American Dream" of being upwardly mobile. Education and a strong work ethic have made it possible for many families to move up from poverty in just a generation or two.

S
    S
    I interact with geneticists in my work sometimes, and based on what I know from those collaborations, this kind of report is extremely implausible to me. Most complex traits are massively polygenic, and even if you can identify all of the hundreds of genes involved in their manifestation, you're going to be predicting at most a couple percent of variation in the outcome.

If I were going to worry about this outcome, I'd worry much more about assortative mating as a cause.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM