Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Two gifted parents. Five gifted children (ages 6 months (yes, it is already evident - I�m sure so many of you know what I�m talking about...!), 2, 4, 6, and 8). Then throw two adopted children, one of whom has some pretty intense ADHD/sensory/anxiety things going on, into the mix. You know, just for fun. 😌

Needless to say, this home is a whirlwind of noise, activity, and emotions, from sunup to sundown!

There is so, so much I could say to elaborate on our current situation (and, well, maybe I did and then deleted it, because I find myself writing/talking too much about things that are important to me, and that has not borne well with the majority of the population. I�m praying to find some resonance here? 💗), but I guess I am mostly reaching out to see if anyone else is in my situation, where you�re dealing with not only your own self (and all the existential drama that clamors within), but multiple little beings that are searching zealously for stimulation and sounding boards in their own young lives.

How do you all manage the craziness of multiple gifteds living under one roof? 😱🤪😌

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Sorry, didn't see this. Now you've passed five posts, you should be able to avoid being hung up in moderation.

I have to say that I don't feel all that much like we're managing the craziness of multiple GTs--perhaps because it's all I've ever known. Just parenting, period. I think all parents (especially of multiple children) feel the whirlwind. We're often tired, make poor parenting choices (and immediately regret them), are not at our best with either our children or our partners, feel like we haven't seen our own personal identity in some time...but then there are those moments--you know them--when one of our children is spontaneously kind or generous, or smiles at the joy and beauty of life, or snuggles in close and trustingly.

The management part is just trying to stay one step ahead of the tsunami from moment to moment (though yes, calendar apps are pretty important to my life!). But really, what's critical for me is prioritizing the long view: we're growing healthy, happy, whole, loving people, building a foundation for their future through investing in our relationships with them. Anything that doesn't truly contribute to this goal is negotiable; I hold those loosely.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    O
    O
    How did we manage the craziness of multiple gifteds living under one roof? By checking ourselves on not worrying about the little things and setting priorities as well as realizing nobody can do it all....but that doesn't mean we don't try!

Think of it like a budget or as if you're managing your family. You only have so many resources and there are always more demands on those resources than a supply. Focus on the big priority items, delegate authority, make children responsible for what they're capable of (and sometimes a bit more) and sometimes you simply have to say no, we can't do that, we simply don't have the time / resources.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM