Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    O
    Ocelot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    I was inspired to start this (hopefully fun) thread by the following moment:

DS5, in bedtime procrastination mode, is arranging a belt and scrunched up paper on his head while making scary noises and faces in the mirror. He pauses to look at me and ask,"How do you like my accoutrements?" It was just an adorably asynchronous moment, with sophisticated words coming out of the procrastinating belt/paper monster.

For all the times asynchrony is frustrating, I think it is also worth celebrating the endearing moments too. 😊

T
    T
    I still want to LOL at the moment DS, then 2, was in the middle of completing a puzzle for four year olds, then, grinning at me, took a piece in his mouth and bit it in two before I could stop him.

S
    S
    I guess I'll chime in. I have a video of DS just after he turned 2 stating the names of each state as he put them into his puzzle board... While pooping in his diaper :p I always thought, how can he know all of his states and be able to do a puzzle meant for much older kids but not get using the toilet? Not to mention the fact that he could read before fully completing potty training. Very frustrating!

I
    I
    LOL, your child was multi-tasking! Who could leave an interesting puzzle to make a mundane trip to the bathroom? wink

C
    C
    smile

The pile of books on both of my kids' bedside tables comes to mind.

Today for DS10 -
    - An old University Physics textbook, Arthur C. Clarke 2001 A Space Odyssey, some Asimov, Maze Runner, some Star Wars novels and then Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

DD8
    - Harry Potter, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and I am Malala

A couple years ago and DS would read LOTR one night and then Captain Underpants the next depending on his mood.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by chay
    smile

The pile of books on both of my kids' bedside tables comes to mind.

Today for DS10 -
    - An old University Physics textbook, Arthur C. Clarke 2001 A Space Odyssey, some Asimov, Maze Runner, some Star Wars novels and then Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

DD8
    - Harry Potter, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and I am Malala

A couple years ago and DS would read LOTR one night and then Captain Underpants the next depending on his mood.

Add Dilbert (older kid) and Animals of Madagasscar (younger kid) and you are living in my house!

Up until we had our DD tested we thought she was an NT child with behavioral issues which was why we tested her.

Until we got the test results I honestly thought that the recommended age printed on puzzle and toy boxes was inflated a few years just to make parents think their child was clever LOL

I also remember her at 8/9 going through her weekly AOPS pre-algebra challenge problems like a hot knife through butter and then sitting down to enjoy watching Space Buddies totally absorbed and relishing every minute! If that wasn't a prime example of asynchrony then what is?

Last edited by madeinuk; 06/28/17 02:28 PM.

Become what you are
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Until we got the test results I honestly thought that the recommended age printed on puzzle and toy boxes was inflated a few years just to make parents think their child was clever LOL

I have this vivid memory of a friend looking at the 4-6 puzzle I had given her 2yr old for the birthday and saying "Thanks" while her face said "WTF?!". I too thought the puzzles and lego were just all labelled wrong. Those were the puzzles my 2yr olds liked so that is what I gave as gifts. Call me clueless.

M
    M
    It always seems bizarre to me that when I look back on DS's developmental milestones, weaning and reading happened within months of each other. Reading also preceded potty training at our house.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by MsFriz
    It always seems bizarre to me that when I look back on DS's developmental milestones, weaning and reading happened within months of each other. Reading also preceded potty training at our house.

Both of my boys didn't potty train until 4 and 1/2 much to my dismay. One learned to read at 5 and one before potty training but not much at 4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM