Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Miss USA 2017 has been described as "one of the most intelligent contestants in recent memory” and wants to inspire girls who are interested in technology, engineering and mathematics fields:

Miss D.C. Kára McCullough, a 25-year-old scientist, wins the Miss USA pageant
    by Emily Yahr
    Washington Post
    May 14, 2017

Originally Posted by article
    McCullough — born in Italy and raised in Virginia Beach — studied nuclear chemistry at South Carolina State University. She wowed the judges early on (producers dubbed her “one of the most intelligent contestants in recent memory”), explaining that she hosts a community outreach program that helps children learn about science. She added that she hopes to inspire women who are interested in technology, engineering and mathematics fields.
    I look forward to hearing more from Kára McCullough.

U
    U
    To be perfectly honest, this answer didn't impress me all that much.

The first query: “Do you think affordable health care for all U.S. citizens is a right or a privilege and why?” “I’m definitely going to say it’s a privilege,” McCullough responded. “As a government employee, I am granted health care. And I see firsthand that for one to have health care, you need to have jobs. So therefore, we need to continue to cultivate this environment that we’re given the opportunities to have health care as well as jobs to all the American citizens worldwide.”

Setting aside politics, the answer doesn't scan, it means nothing, and "all the American citizens worldwide"?

Val Offline
    1) This thread has nothing to do with gifted education.

2) I'm hoping beyond reasonable hope that someday, women will cease parading around on stage to be judged as pieces of meat, and that threads like this will no longer exist, because we will care more about what women can think and do, rather than what they look like in swimsuits and evening gowns.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Val
    1) This thread has nothing to do with gifted education.

2) I'm hoping beyond reasonable hope that someday, women will cease parading around on stage to be judged as pieces of meat, and that threads like this will no longer exist, because we will care more about what women can think and do, rather than what they look like in swimsuits and evening gowns.
    Your point is well-taken. Please consider this context...
    Past discussions on gifted forums have included coverage of articles such as:
    Google, Tell Me. Is My Son a Genius?
    by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz
    January 19, 2014
    New York Times
    Originally Posted by article
    MORE than a decade into the 21st century, we would like to think that American parents have similar standards and similar dreams for their sons and daughters. But my study of anonymous, aggregate data from Google searches suggests that contemporary American parents are far more likely to want their boys smart and their girls skinny.

It’s not that parents don’t want their daughters to be bright or their sons to be in shape, but they are much more focused on the braininess of their sons and the waistlines of their daughters.

Start with intelligence. It’s hardly surprising that parents of young children are often excited at the thought that their child may be gifted. In fact, of all Google searches starting “Is my 2-year-old,” the most common next word is “gifted.” But this question is not asked equally about young boys and young girls. Parents are two and a half times more likely to ask “Is my son gifted?” than “Is my daughter gifted?”
    This article was also the subject of a post on the Gifted Exchange blogspot, funded by Davidson.

Here is a woman with the parent-sought qualities, and this new Miss USA is utilizing her 15 minutes of fame to encourage girls' interest in STEM fields. She may well reach a broad audience.

This is germane to gifted education because gifted kids (possibly more often girls) may hide their intellect in order to fit in socially at school.

A
    A
    I am confused why society puts a spotlight on someone whose claim to fame is a "beauty pageant". I am not sure why this person's accomplishments are worthy of threads in gifted education forums.

Where I live, there are very accomplished women who work in technology and engineering and mathematics and have accomplished a lot and are role models to young women and inspire them to use their intellect and their entrepreneurial abilities.

I will save my rants on beauty pageants and cheerleading to other forums.

ETA: "studied nuclear chemistry at South Carolina State University" - does that mean that she is the most intelligent pageant participant ever? Or does that mean that pageant participants have had lower education levels than her so far??

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by ashley
    I am confused why society puts a spotlight on someone whose claim to fame is a "beauty pageant".
    Yes, the same may be said of athletes, actors, entertainers, etc... yet some use their fame to reach audiences with positive messages to "stay in school", etc.

The points made in the OP of this thread:
    - others noticed her intellect
    - she encourages girls in STEM fields

A
    A
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Yes, the same may be said of athletes, actors, entertainers, etc
    Not a good comparison - beauty pageants do not require talent (IMO) - and beauty is subjective and skin deep - but, someone like Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps requires talent and superhuman work ethic to earn the place on the podium from which they speak to others.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Interestingly, you chose two male athletes... no females... although the thread is about encouraging girls in STEM. sick

Do I correctly understand your position as: MissUSA does not deserve to have a voice; You believe she has not earned the right to address a large audience?
    - On one hand, if this government-employed scientist is denied a voice, then whose outreach would you accept to encourage girls to explore STEM fields?
    - On the other hand, there were reportedly over a million fan votes, and the MissUSA competition was trending on twitter, showing that society IS interested in "beauty," in allowing MissUSA to have a voice.

Bottom line, the OP shows that an interest in beauty and an interest in science need not be mutually exclusive. That may be an important message for girls: They can embrace multiple diverse interests.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Interestingly, you chose two male athletes... no females... although the thread is about encouraging girls in STEM. sick

Do I correctly understand your position as: MissUSA does not deserve to have a voice; You believe she has not earned the right to address a large audience?
    - ON one hand, if this government-employed scientist is denied a voice, then whose outreach would you accept to encourage girls to explore STEM fields?
    - On the other hand, there were reportedly over a million fan votes, and the MissUSA competition was trending on twitter, showing that society IS interested in "beauty."

Bottom line, the OP shows that an interest in beauty and an interest in science need not be mutually exclusive. That may be an important message for girls.

I hate to argue - but, what is the basis of this woman being of high IQ? The OP and title calls her as "one of the most intelligent". I remember many posters on this forum being hounded for calling their kids "gifted" because they did not have a neuropsychologist administered report calling their kids PG. They were attacked because they did not have documentary evidence of their kids being gifted. Though I did not participate in those threads, I see irony in holding up a person without proof of their intelligence for their "high intelligence".
    indigo, please go back and read my earlier post on this thread - I have talked about Women in STEM in my post - there are many women who are trailblazers in silicon valley in their own rights in a "highly intellectual" field - in a thread about STEM and girls!!! You are the person who introduced the word "athlete" into this topic.

Am I correct in assuming your position as: accomplished athletes, actors and musicians can be equated to a person answering a few questions with "politically correct" answers in a beauty pageant?

ETA: Since we are discussing Women in STEM , I would like to throw in a plug for WiSTEM:
    http://www.womeninstem.com/wistem-for-schools.php
    They do a lot of good work in the local public schools in my area.

ETA2: Michael Phelps visited a famous USA swimming team training center in my town - multiple times to compete- and I have witnessed him encouraging many of the young athletes (including many young girls) to follow their dreams, to work hard and being very supportive of them. Which is why I mentioned him by name. I do not have any interaction or familiarity with any female sportsperson because I simply do not follow sports.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    what is the basis of this woman being of high IQ? The OP and title calls her as "one of the most intelligent".
    The basis is the quote from the article.

I remember many posters on this forum being hounded for calling their kids "gifted" because they did not have a neuropsychologist administered report calling their kids PG.
    I believe you are recalling this incorrectly, and that no one was questioned for referring to a child as "gifted" without documentation; What was called into question was a claim of having a PROFOUNDLY gifted child without evidence, documentation, or verification.

Am I correct in assuming your position as: accomplished athletes, actors and musicians can be equated to a person answering a few questions with "politically correct" answers in a beauty pageant?
    No, that does not summarize my position. My position is simply that:
    - the intellect of MissUSA was noticed
    - MissUSA chooses to encourage girls in STEM fields
    I would welcome the voice of this scientist in encouraging girls in STEM, and would not seek to discount it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM