Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Wow! I think I've found a really interesting book for young kids with OEs!

Just for background: I've been working on a blog about children's books these past few weeks (mostly to put recommendations out to the world because there are so many amazing books out there and it seems that most people aren't tapping into them enough to get their kids hooked on reading).

So... I was working on a blog about superhero books and was writing about a picture book entitled Mr. Particular: The World's Choosiest Champion (that I'd read to my boys last year), and it dawned on me that it could be a GREAT way to inspire a child with sensitivities to sounds, fabrics, etc. to start to desensitize themselves a bit to help them function a bit better on a day to day basis. I sure wish I'd had this book around when DS7 was about 3 or 4 years old!

Here's a link to the amazon page:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Particula...493385206&sr=8-1&keywords=mr.+particular

I'd love to know what any of you think if you end up checking it out!

H
    HJA Offline
    H
    I had a look at the book and preview of it. My feeling is that it may be counterproductive to label someone who has OEs as being "picky" about things. My understanding, from the limited reading that I have done, is that a child with OEs is not merely being "picky" and or inflexible: he or she has some real, biologically-based challenges that cannot be so easily classified. In other words, I would think that it would not be helpful to label a child who suffers from full-blown sensory processing disorder as "picky". I don't think I am articulating this very well, but my sense is that a child who has trouble functioning due to oversensitivity to artificial lights or the noise level in a typical classroom is dealing with something far more serious than can be addressed by reading Mr. Particular.

That having been said, perhaps reading the book is a good place to start a conversation and can be used to supplement whatever other therapies and strategies are being used by the family to help a child with OEs cope?

Again, not sure I am being very helpful here, but something sticks in my craw about characterizing a true OE as a weakness or failing.

A book I have found helpful for the purpose of dealing with strategies to cope with fears and encourage a growth mindset is "My Fantastic Elastic Brain": https://www.amazon.ca/Fantastic-Ela...=8-1&keywords=my+fantastic+elastic+brain

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I absolutely get your point! Though I wasn't referring to kids with SPD, but rather with OEs. And maybe the use of the word "picky" in the book is a bad one. That said, for our son, it would have helped him see that he could conquer his fears and overcome some of his sensitivities. But again, he doesn't have SPD. He just feels things intensely (as do I), and he has "big emotions" (as he calls it). I think for a child like him, the book could help start a useful discussion.

Thanks, though! I'm happy for the discussion. smile

Oh, and we also loved My Fantastic Elastic Brain! First got it out from the library and then purchased it.

H
    HJA Offline
    H
    Yes... Maybe I am conflating OE with SPD. Thanks for pointing that out!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM