Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #237323 03/22/17 04:29 PM
    OP Offline
    DH and I received an email from DS' teacher that he's to receive an outstanding scholar award later this week.

I am underwhelmed by this. I know for a fact that most of what he's being applauded for is subject matter he already knew when we grade-skipped him.

I know why some gifted feel like imposters, but what about the feelings of the parents? We have been invited to attend the bestowing of said accolade and I feel like cringing.

DH said we should go to support DS. If for no other reason than he's received A's in Physical Ed and Music, both of which are difficult and new to him respectively.

But I wonder what this award is subtly teaching him. That he will receive recognition for not working that hard? For being a kid that has things come naturally to him? Sort of like a beauty contest...receiving a crown for what nature gave you?

Should I stress he's getting the award for those classes for which he placed a lot of effort and just let the rest go?

Ametrine #237339 03/23/17 02:35 AM
    H
    H
    I understand your feelings about the award, it is not meaningful in the sense of recognizing hard work. It does recognize your child's academic talent and especially since it includes Phys Ed and Music.

I would go to support your child. You do not have to make a big deal of it. Having your parents attend school events is often very important to kids. Another reason to go is to show the school that you are an involved parent. This seems silly, but some schools will use it against you if you do not attend.

Ametrine #237341 03/23/17 05:49 AM
    P
    P
    In atheletic competition, everyone (atheletically inclined or not) compete in the same race. When Michael Phelps was at his peak, you are competing for silver and you know that he is going to win gold.

Why should that be different in academic performance? Savor and enjoy the moment. We still can give him alternate facts and teach him lesons and encourage hard work.

spaghetti #237343 03/23/17 05:57 AM
    Originally Posted by spaghetti
    Awards are not for hard work, well unless they are "effort" or "workhorse" type awards. This is just an award to celebrate a good student. Many parents feel left out when school doesn't reward good grades. When they offer these awards, they are recognizing that your child is doing well. As easy as the material is, it's quite possible he would NOT do well. He would tune out, act out, etc. But that's not happening. Your son is doing what is asked of him in school and is a model to other children.

This is something to celebrate. It is only your interpretation that effort needs to be there. Some people find things easier than others. We don't say that an Olympic gold medalist didn't work as hard as the 6th place athlete so doesn't deserve the gold.

Well said!

Become what you are
    Ametrine #237345 03/23/17 06:40 AM
    I
    I
    You've received great thoughts from so many posters. smile

I'll echo, "GO" and add two more ideas:

1) Take a picture! Have the photo printed and keep it in a scrapbook along with the announcement letter. When looking through his scrapbook in future years, there can be conversations about how he felt about this award, realizing that his perspective may change over time.

2) Document, document, document. It is often helpful for parents to begin a "resume" for their child, listing activities, awards, volunteerism, etc. This can be referred to in future years when completing applications for schools, jobs, scholarships, etc.

Ametrine #237356 03/23/17 09:12 AM
    Q
    Q
    I would let it all go and not stress about any of this. Attend or not attend - it doesn't matter that much. I have gone to many award ceremonies and also skipped many others over the years. Just communicate with your DS so he is on board with your decision and what you believe.

Assuming that your DS is in elementary, keep in mind that these ceremonies are a great way for the parents to chat with each other.

At the same time, I do get what you are feeling. I mentally cringed every time I was invited to and attended a "Scholars Reception" for my oldest DS when he made the "Honor Roll" in high school. He is disabled (has significant brain damage, etc.) and only got those grades because I helped him. The "honor" was meaningless and rather ironic but the applause (nice students) made him happy so I attended.

spaghetti #237357 03/23/17 09:14 AM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by spaghetti
    We don't say that an Olympic gold medalist didn't work as hard as the 6th place athlete so doesn't deserve the gold.

Your statement really made an impression on me.
    You're so right and I think I've been looking at this all wrong. Thank you!

Ametrine #237366 03/23/17 12:07 PM
    M
    M
    Yes, Go...

And 1 and 2 of what indigo says above. It is fun to look back and sometimes you have to use the fluff and he did earn it.

Ametrine #237367 03/23/17 12:32 PM
    P
    P
    It is when they get "most improved" or "effort" awards you really have to worried.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM