Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    Ken H Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I have a 3.5 year old daughter who has been assessed as gifted, but one thing I find disconcerting is the lack of a lot of questions she asks. I will submit that she does speak well and proper; she does ask when she is encounters new words she reads, or inquires about something new she sees. The conversation we have does not generally provoke a plethora of questions that I would otherwise expect. Typically, our conversations are about planets, dinosaurs and a vast number of other interest. Perhaps, when talking to her, I provide too much information that does not generate questions. She has always been very curious about her environment. She does read a lot and often suggesting that any question she has is answered through her reading. I do realize every child is different. However, these are the basis of my question. Is this common or have others within the forum encountered something similar? And if so, when was a change noticed?

Thanks and appreciate any insight.
    Ken

I
    I
    Welcome!

What you describe sounds like a rather enviable position to be in. Especially for parents whose children require a lot of listening from them, while the kiddos verbally process their day. In a post some time ago, parents humorously spoke of being their child's "companion animal". wink It can be difficult, as a parent, to have a large portion of one's time and attention required by the child for processing; These parents benefit from having understanding support systems also willing to help the child process.

Kids can change phases on a moment's notice. If there do not seem to be red flags surrounding her interactions (or lack thereof)... some may say enjoy the calm while you can. smile

Z
    Z
    We had a decent sized discussion here around a month ago on the same question:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/180605/Asking_why.html

Basically, quite mixed experiences here.

K
    Ken H Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you. The posting was helpful. As you stated, there are mixed experiences. I'm not too concerned yet since she does ask me things. I've ready a number of resources about the 'why' phase and have come to the conclusion, 'it depends'. Each child is different.

Regards,
    Ken

When my kids ask me something that I don't know or if I'm doing something else, I tell them to look it up. Oh, you want to know how many rings around Saturn and how they got there? Let's get a book from the library!

Kids learn in different ways. Some like to ask you questions (to distraction!) and others are content to find the answers themselves. But an important part, I think, of knowledge is knowing how to find the answer to the question. Watch for interests, get some reference materials, have her read through them and then you ask her the questions. Kids love to play teacher. Good luck!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by 2GiftedKids
    When my kids ask me something that I don't know or if I'm doing something else, I tell them to look it up. Oh, you want to know how many rings around Saturn and how they got there? Let's get a book from the library!

Kids learn in different ways. Some like to ask you questions (to distraction!) and others are content to find the answers themselves. But an important part, I think, of knowledge is knowing how to find the answer to the question. Watch for interests, get some reference materials, have her read through them and then you ask her the questions. Kids love to play teacher. Good luck!
    Well said. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM