Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #135908 08/17/12 09:03 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Although I already know the answers, or I think I do, or w/e...

I still want to ask, because I'm particularly frustrated right now.

By the way, English is not my mother's tongue, I'm sorry if the words are weird sometimes, although I'm not sure if that's going to be the case, I just wanted to specify...

Is it normal to be impatient towards other people with a slow mind?

Of course it is... still, I'd like to see, an answer.

I mean no, seriously, I totally hate that people seem to think so slowly, why can't they THINK, dammit, I want them to be better, to have a mind at work.

And is it me, or the world is awfully going in the wrong direction?

Of course it is... still, well you know, I'd like to see your answer.

Where are the others?? I mean where are the other people who actually think? The gifted? It drives me mad to have a conversation with anyone because they all seem to get it wrong so often (not all the time, but most of the time). I feel like I'm holding the hand of everyone each time I talk to them about something they're not sure or when they're plain wrong (I'm not talking about convictions there, when I say plain wrong, it jumps at the eye, it's just *that* obvious). I just want to talk with other people who can think. Else I feel like I'm imposing on the others, it drives me insane.

Is it normal that everyone's so poor? I mean, seriously? It seem all so easy to not be poor.

ARRGGGGG

Why is everything so awkward...

I feel lonely. But you know that already, probably. I hope you do.

Tetriste #136278 08/24/12 03:35 PM
    I know it's wrong but I have said, "what makes you think you have the right to be wrong?". But when people are allowed to do and say the wrong thing so much and people tell you "it's ok because you're smarter than them." or people think it's ok to be wrong A LOT as long they admit when they're wrong.  It's almost like people try to be wrong to prove they can get away with it. (or to prove they're normal?)   I need to find a way to change how I think about this.
    Get a hobby.  Read some books. 

Now I know what this is called
    -outward directed perfectionism

Perfectionism is what makes us gifted.  It is also a form of self-loathing.  Sometimes we aim this dark side of perfectionism at ourselves, sometimes we direct it at those around us.  There is a dark side of perfectionism, but it's tiny compared to the benefits.

"you're focusing too much on the crazy and not enough on the awesome".  This planet is neat.  So start looking for the extraordinary now while you got the chance.   

Uh, I've been without coffee for three days because I broke my coffee pot, but then I remembered I have a coffee pot in my camping pot.  So I'm loaded up on coffee and should probably quit typing now.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Tetriste #136279 08/24/12 04:04 PM
    Since this thread has already left the reservation, I'd just like everyone to know that I just got a baby coffee pot that only makes four cups of coffee at a time.

I had no idea that they made baby coffee pots like this!

Well, I knew that there were Keurig (or whatever) coffee pots, but they're just designed to sell overpriced coffee.

If I were a girl, I would decorate it with pink flowers and ribbons.

Tetriste #136281 08/24/12 04:27 PM
    Yeah, well, I said that to someone who likes to argue about every little thing, but doesn't want to bother learning anything when they're wrong- it's annoying.

Eta: it is not normal. It is the dark side of perfectionism. Google perfectionism you'll see perfectionism OCD perfectionism anxiety perfectionism depression and perfectionism treatment.

Last edited by La Texican; 08/24/12 04:48 PM. Reason: Add a solution.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Yeah, well, I said that to someone who likes to argue about every little thing, but doesn't want to bother learning anything when they're wrong- it's annoying.

Eta: it is not normal. It is the dark side of perfectionism. Google perfectionism you'll see perfectionism OCD perfectionism anxiety perfectionism depression and perfectionism treatment.

Error has no rights.

Right?

And the problem isn't really whether it's *normal*. It's whether it's *healthy and beneficial*. And the answer is no.

Last edited by JonLaw; 08/24/12 04:53 PM. Reason: Keeping up with La Texicana
    JonLaw #136283 08/24/12 04:56 PM
    E
    E
    Flowers and ribbons...

You crack me up.

Last edited by Evemomma; 08/24/12 04:57 PM.
    Tetriste #136284 08/24/12 05:25 PM
    Hi, Tetriste. It's not normal, it's superior to normal, if you catch my drift. A very wise person once taught me that the following is a good way to speak to such people:

"I am profoundly more than you in ways which you can only begin to comprehend. We have spoken enough for now, and I grow tired of your questions. You are dismissed." (or simply "Begone!")

Another piece of wisdom I've gleaned from this site: you can never have enough handbags.

Welcome.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Iucounu #136286 08/24/12 05:44 PM
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Another piece of wisdom I've gleaned from this site: you can never have enough handbags.

Today, I also learned that I am "cisgendered" or "cissexual".

Because of this, I have decided that it is inappropriate for me to use handbags as an accessory. So, I'm going to have to disagree with you there on the entire handbag thingy.

I am still torn on whether I should burn scented candles, though.

There's nothing quite like making your office smell like Christmas in the middle of the summer.

From Wikipedia:

"Kristen Schilt and Laurel Westbrook defined cisgender as a label for "individuals who have a match between the gender they were assigned at birth, their bodies, and their personal identity", complementing transgender.[2] A similar adjective is gender-normative; Eli R. Green wrote, "The term 'cisgendered' is used [instead of the more popular 'gender normative'] to refer to people who do not identify with a gender diverse experience, without enforcing existence of a 'normative' gender expression."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cissexual

Tetriste #136288 08/24/12 06:29 PM
    JonLaw: You generally impress me, but *I* have had a 4 cup coffee maker so long its getting hard to clean. So HAH!

I may not be cisgendered, I would never put flowers or ribbons on my coffee pot. Or cary a handbag. Purse, yes. Handbag. No. There are a couple of woodworking knives and an axe next to the coffee maker, is that more masculine than flowers and ribbons? I can point you to a good knife seller if you'd like?

I love scented candles, but due to a spice allergy, I can no longer have anything containing "parfum" "fragrance" etc on my clothing/hair or near my kid. Um, no, not THAT spice.

It really, genuinely, actually, IS exceptionally normal to be grumpy and irritable. Even dumb people get grumpy enough to think geneii (sp?) are dumber than they (the dumb people) are. What's not wise is assuming one's irritability is a sign of genius. It's really just a sign of a sore foot, frustrating year, or lack of coffee. Or lack of ribbons. Or... lack of cisgenderedness, for that matter. One of my good friends, the one who solves our 5x5 rubics cube into a new fancy pattern every week, is notable for his ability to take anyone seriously, and I've watched him learn things he cared about from some of the least brilliant people I know. Dumb mistakes are the kind of thing smart people fail to make, which makes them valuable.

erm... yeah.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Tetriste #136290 08/24/12 06:37 PM
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Tetriste
    Is it normal to be impatient towards other people with a slow mind?

...I get frustrated with my husband - does that count?

(bah ha ha hee hee)

A-hem. Sorry.

Seriously though - he has his area of cognitive strength (i.e. very mechanical, memorizes formulas, etc), but he is not at all abstract, can NOT multitask AT ALL, and doesn't get metaphors (I live metaphorically!!). Sometimes I'll start talking and he'll just stare at me, dumbfounded. So then I have to start over and s-i-m-p-l-i-f-y. sigh.

S'okay. I can talk to myself instead wink

Oh and I'm in the "no flowers on the coffee pot" camp. ;p

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM