Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Two studies (haven't read them yet, so...) have concluded that too many students are being put into remedial classes unnecessarily.

Originally Posted by article in today's NY Times
    The studies address one of the most intractable problems of higher education: the dead end of remedial education. At most community colleges, a majority of entering students who recently graduated from high school are placed in remedial classes, where they pay tuition but earn no college credit. Over all, less than a quarter of those who start in remedial classes go on to earn two-year degrees or transfer to four-year colleges.

Although the placement tests have been widely used since the late 1980s, students rarely understand how much is at stake. Typically, students are told that they need not worry about the tests because they are for placement — and very few colleges encourage them to prepare as they would for a college-entrance exam like the SAT.

This subject came up here once before. I'm torn. On the one hand, there seems to be increasing evidence that this trend is bordering on a scam (whether intended that way or not).

Yet I taught a community college, and most of my students could barely string two paragraphs together in an essay. Yet...the colleges don't seem to really teach writing these days anyway, so it's reasonable to assume that the definition of "ready for college-level writing" has changed.

Yes, it's obviously bad to put students into remedial courses unnecessarily. But the article says that putting unprepared students into harder classes is less of a problem. Given the level to which classes have been watered down (starting way before college), I have to disagree with this idea. If too many unprepared kids enroll in a given course, it ends up being focused on material that's easier than it should be. We've discussed the fact that new high-school math textbooks are made "accessible" by removing the hard stuff. This approach may "give everyone a chance" but it cheats the capable students and ultimately harms the nation.

I agree with you that there are a few culprits at work. As a teacher, I despise the textbook/test-making publishing companies. I loathe the fact that everything is watered down. Even my lower performing students could perform at much higher levels if the bar was set higher. With my gifted students, I just have to completely throw the book out the window. Yes, I agree that the curriculum has been watered down to a ridiculous level. This is a battle I fight tooth-and-nail everyday.

I also think that some of these remedial classes are a scam. It all boils down to profits. It even happened to me during my undergraduate days. I was triple majoring in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, and English. It was my last year of college and I had completed my English requirements. I was taking 21-24 credit semesters and received honors from the English Department. The Education majors were required to do a writing sample. If you did not meet the requirements, you had to taking a writing course. Over half of the education majors failed, myself included. I could find nothing wrong with my paper. I scheduled a meeting to discuss the results. I brought the Dean of the English Department with me and the Dean of Education's face turned white. Long story short, she backpedaled so quickly she was about to break the sound barrier.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    ?!?

Wow.

What reason did they give for failing you? Or did they just write "F" with no explanation?

Totally agree with Saturday on both counts. I'm a former community college and state college history instructor (and public school history teacher too). I despise the textbooks too. They're obsolete and inefficient way to learn today. They're watered down to a ridiculous level. I think the high school history textbooks are aimed at a 4th/5th reading level where I taught.

Remedial classes are a scam; higher education boils down to profits.

There are so many problems with education today. We're still stuck in paper mode when we live in a digital world that is constantly changing and evolving. Schools are primarily stuck on auditory teaching methods. Many teachers cling to the textbook or to tests and have a fixed mindset on teaching. I could go on and on.

I think this is perhaps one of the reasons why the homeschool/unschool movement is growing so much. With a more individualized, self-directed approach to learning, a child is able to make more decisions for themselves, follow their interests, and become more self-aware of their potential and abilities. Yes, a child may to this in a formal, traditional educational setting, but it's more challenging with digital content and technology becoming more relevant in our lives.

Formal, traditional educational settings do not always encourage or foster independent or divergent thinking by their nature. Some teacher do, but many do not. It's Russian Roulette. I think most children learn (and I think are conditioned) not to question the teacher or textbook; remember you get detention or insubordination in school. Yet independent, critical thinking or divergent thinking is increasingly needed in a digital world. So this is a complex issue.

They said I had made more than two errors with punctuation. In each case the punctuation was correct or subjective. I don't think they were expecting anyone to object. Thankfully, I had taken a few English/Lit. courses with the Dean of the English Department. If I didn't have him in my corner, I would have had to sit through a remedial course.

B
    B
    The special ed teacher in my DD's class (3rd/4th grade loop), using her personal time, teaches classes that help prepare for the state tests...$99 for four 1 hour classes for 3/4/5 grades in ELA and math.

The tests are in about six weeks with a vacation breaking up the time. The class has spent barely two weeks on multiplication so far this year, with no written tests coming home after the 3x table, no division, and DD's math homework yesterday was "explore shapes in your home".

?!?

Originally Posted by cdfox
    I think the high school history textbooks are aimed at a 4th/5th reading level where I taught.

High school History textbooks aren't just poor because of their reading level. They're also chock full of false narratives and inexcusable omissions.

I didn't fully understand why until this year, when I was having a discussion with my DD's school, and the district GT coordinator declared the purpose of education: "To successfully integrate children into society." Which apparently means "brainwash."

Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    I think the high school history textbooks are aimed at a 4th/5th reading level where I taught.

High school History textbooks aren't just poor because of their reading level. They're also chock full of false narratives and inexcusable omissions.

I didn't fully understand why until this year, when I was having a discussion with my DD's school, and the district GT coordinator declared the purpose of education: "To successfully integrate children into society." Which apparently means "brainwash."

I really shouldn't ask this question, but...

...which "false narratives" and "inexcusable omissions" are we talking about here?

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    For just one example, read this story, or just do a search for "texas history textbook controversy." You'll get way over a million results (!).

Or just grab a high school math book that's aligned to state standards and see for yourself. Why prove the law of cosines when you can just write it out in boldface text and announce that it's true? That way, no one has to worry!

frown

Last edited by Val; 03/01/12 01:56 PM. Reason: More detail added
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I really shouldn't ask this question, but...

...which "false narratives" and "inexcusable omissions" are we talking about here?

History in general is imbued with this narrative of things moving in a steady progression from primitive to sophisticated, nevermind that the steam engine was invented first in Alexandria by a Roman. It's also imbued with an overwhelming Western bias, exhorting the superiority of Western culture, when it was far inferior to various other cultures for most of recorded history.

For false narratives and omissions as they relate specifically to US History, I recommend this: Lies My Teacher Told Me

Last edited by Dude; 03/01/12 02:57 PM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM