Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 300 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #116335 11/15/11 07:45 PM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    frown
    The results may seem surprising at first glance, but the researchers noted that they do fit some established patterns. �High-IQ individuals have also been shown to score highly on tests of stimulation seeking and openness to experience,� they wrote, and it could be that �illegal drugs are better at fulfilling a desire for novelty and stimulation.�

Two other traits linked with childhood intelligence � boredom and a tendency to be teased by one�s peers � could also fuel an interest in �using drugs as an avoidant coping strategy,� the researchers added.
    http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-high-iq-drug-use-20111115,0,5485544.story

B
    B
    Well, let's connect this to Dabrowski, intensity, positive disintegration, and the personal crisis you tend to have when your achievement and opportunities are far below your ability.

High IQ, woman, never smoked pot, but been the only person in the room not smoking pot more times than I care to think about. But as I mentioned to a student this week, I was 18 years old and had a scholarship before I had the chance to say yes or no to drugs...

A
    A
    I haven't heard anyone talking about the fact that the lower your IQ, the less disposable income you are likely to have, and the higher your IQ, the less likely you are to work in any number of jobs (such as driving buses) that have mandatory routine drug testing. I wonder how well these sorts of factors were controlled for in the study? (But I don't wonder enough to get past the paywall...)

Last edited by aculady; 11/16/11 06:46 PM. Reason: replaced omitted words
    B
    B
    If you wanted scientific or statistical specifications, you'd be barking up the wrong paywall, anyway. It's the usual mass media gloss that tells you nothing particular about the research methods.

Originally Posted by aculady
    I haven't heard anyone talking about the fact that the lower your IQ, the less disposable income you are likely to have, and the less likely you are to work in any number of jobs (such as driving buses) that have mandatory routine drug testing. I wonder how well these sorts of factors were controlled for in the study? (But I don't wonder enough to get past the paywall...)
    Well said!

I just saw this thread, which is related:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....82/gonew/1/What_we_fear_most.html#UNREAD

I'm headed over there.
    Grinity

Last edited by Grinity; 11/16/11 05:34 AM.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Beckee
    If you wanted scientific or statistical specifications, you'd be barking up the wrong paywall, anyway. It's the usual mass media gloss that tells you nothing particular about the research methods.
    The article is better than most since it contains the link to the research: http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2...sid=db52aed3-324c-4d3d-b40c-4b6a121d220b

I haven't heard anyone talking about the fact that the lower your IQ, the less disposable income you are likely to have, and the less likely you are to work in any number of jobs (such as driving buses) that have mandatory routine drug testing.

I know it's just anecdotal evidence, but the bus drivers I've encountered haven't seemed to be swimming in the deep end of the intelligence pool.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I haven't heard anyone talking about the fact that the lower your IQ, the less disposable income you are likely to have, and the less likely you are to work in any number of jobs (such as driving buses) that have mandatory routine drug testing.

I know it's just anecdotal evidence, but the bus drivers I've encountered haven't seemed to be swimming in the deep end of the intelligence pool.

Ack. Going back to fix what I said. Computer ate some words between keying and posting.

Not to scare anyone too much, but an anecdote: About 1/4 of the kids in my AP/honors classes smoked pot. However, my high school was rife with "burnouts"; we even had a smoking lounge for students.

Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM