Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #96100 03/04/11 02:04 PM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi all,

I've been re-learning some math, and am thinking of buying a mathematics software package such as Mathematica or MATLAB. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm looking for usability and a lot of versatility.

I'm leaning heavily against a calculator due to screen size limitations.

Mathematica can be purchased for $295 for a home version, and they offer a discount for upgrades. My husband has a very, very old version (2.x), so we might be able to upgrade.

From what I've seen on the Wolfram site, I like Mathematica the best. But I haven't used it, and was wondering if anyone here has an opinion.

Val

Val #96103 03/04/11 02:18 PM
    G
    G
    Matlab and Mathematica have very different capabilities. How would you be using the software?

I like Matlab for data analysis and scripting. Mathematica is very useful as a solver.

Val #96104 03/04/11 02:24 PM
    Check a local college/uni bookstore-- see if they'll let you grab a package with a STUDENT discount. (You could always fib a bit and say that it's for your child.)

This can save you as much as 70-80% off of even "home" prices.

I'm only moderately familiar with Mathematica, and my experience is likely just as old as your old version of it. LOL... It's always been both powerful and versatile, I'll say that.

We broke down and got DD a TI-84SE anyway, since many courses beyond algebra now require them. It has proven useful to her, even if I don't have a clue how to use it. Most modern math tutorials/help assumes use of the TI graphing calculators, much to my astonishment.

DreamCalc is a down-loadable 'virtual' version of the TI-84.

I know so little about MATLAB that I can't say anything one way or another about it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline

Originally Posted by geofizz
    I like Matlab for data analysis and scripting. Mathematica is very useful as a solver.

Problem solving using calculus and possibly other forms of maths. I got the idea that you just wrote from looking at marketing material for both packages. Thanks.

Any other info/ideas greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    We broke down and got DD a TI-84SE anyway, since many courses beyond algebra now require them. It has proven useful to her, even if I don't have a clue how to use it. Most modern math tutorials/help assumes use of the TI graphing calculators, much to my astonishment.

Yes, the book I'm using assumes that you have a TI-84 and gives directions for same.

I'm drawing graphs on paper at this point...which isn't ideal by any means. Though it does help give a feel for the functions.

Val #96117 03/04/11 02:47 PM
    B
    B
    Octave is free and has much of the functionality of Matlab. Have you considered it? For statistical analysis, R is good and free.

For symbolic work, Maxima is free, but it is less powerful than Mathematica.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Val #96118 03/04/11 02:49 PM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    I'm drawing graphs on paper at this point...which isn't ideal by any means. Though it does help give a feel for the functions.

For graphing functions two of many choices are Excel (or some free spreadsheet program such as the one in OpenOffice) or the free program gnuplot, widely used by scientists.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Val #96121 03/04/11 02:58 PM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Not doing statistical analysis for this need.

I tried Excel; it's too clunky and doesn't have the versatility I need. I'll look at gnuplot.

Val

Val #96157 03/05/11 04:40 AM
    G
    G
    My students aren't allowed to use Excel for graphing. It is so clunky it leads to bad science. wink

I'd never heard of Octave. It looks like it might serve.

If you're graphing simple data sets, then I'd recommend Origin and Kaleidagraph, though neither are free. (Big data sets need something more hefty.) If you're graphing functions, then Mathematica might be the right thing, though I don't use it to do that.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM