Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Found this interesting article on NT times yesterday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/education/07education.html?ref=education

I am not too surprised by the results given the fact that the scores of Taiwan, Hong Kong students were up there for years. The Chinese students share the same value system and work harder simply because their environment is more competitive.

I was actually more interested in the methodology PISA test used and whether the school had a chance to prep students. I dug up some old articles using baidu (Chinese version of google).

It looks like that the 5000 students in Shanghai were selected �randomly� from 150 schools. Each school contributed no more than 30-35 students. So sampling approach seems to be okay. Content of PISA tests were somewhat different from what Chinese kids were used to. Not just multiple choices. Some of them required giving explanations. The sample math test is very simple though. No wonder Chinese kids almost got them all correct.

What is interesting is the responds from Chinese media. There were none. Nobody seemed to care. �We are #1 in the world for education? you got to be kidding.� Average Chinese are actually very unhappy with China�s education from elementary all the way to college.

C
    C
    I thought this quote from the very end of the article was interesting:

"This is the first time that we have internationally comparable data on learning outcomes in China,� Mr. Schleicher said. �While that�s important, for me the real significance of these results is that they refute the commonly held hypothesis that China just produces rote learning.�

I remember reading that the US is number 1 in terms of student confidence. I wonder where the Chinese rate on the confidence scale.

Warning: sleep deprived
    A
    A
    For anyone who hasn't seen them, I found sample test items here: http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/47/23/41943106.pdf

The tables at the back also have percentage right by topic, question, and country for 2000, 2003, and 2006.

Last edited by AlexsMom; 12/08/10 02:11 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM