Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    ‘Financially Hobbled for Life’: The Elite Master’s Degrees That Don’t Pay Off
    By Melissa Korn and Andrea Fuller
    July 8, 2021
    The Wall Street Journal

Originally Posted by brief excerpts from article
    Columbia and other top universities push master’s programs that fail to generate enough income for graduates to keep up with six-figure federal loans
    "...always focused on affordability, and an important part of that is, of course, to help prospective students make informed decisions,”
    Unlike undergraduate loans, the federal Grad Plus loan program has no fixed limit on how much grad students can borrow—money that can be used for tuition, fees and living expenses.
    High Price, Low Return
    Columbia has more high-debt master's degree programs in low-paying fields than any other Ivy League university
    Highly selective universities have benefited from free-flowing federal loan money, and with demand for spots far exceeding supply, the schools have been able to raise tuition largely unchecked. The power of legacy branding lets prestigious universities say, in effect, that their degrees are worth whatever they charge.

“Students gravitate to Columbia because Columbia’s Columbia, right?”

Many college-bound students may benefit from looking at the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH),
    link - https://www.bls.gov/ooh/

Other important college prep for decision making may include information on personal finance, budgeting, and the time value of money. Keeping "living expenses" in check may involve value judgments in identifying and prioritizing NEEDS versus WANTS.

W
    W
    My daughter was told not to do a masters but go straight to a PhD. That doing a masters was a waste of time. I have no idea, way too long since I went to school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM