Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #244838 02/18/19 12:46 PM
    T
    tkl44 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi all,

Quick introduction, I have never posted on an online discussion forum ever. Therefore, that tells you how in need of your help/feedback I am! smile

My six year old son just wrote the WISC V and I would love your opinion on the following data. (He wrote it in a private session with a psychologist specializing in gifted children.)

His full scale and Composite/Index scores:

Index � Standard Score/Percentile

Verbal Comprehension 146/ 99.9
    Visual Spatial 111/ 77
    Fluid Reasoning 126/ 96
    Working Memory 117/ 87
    Processing Speed 103/ 58
    Full Scale IQ 129/ 97
    General Ability 132/ 98
    Cognitive Proficiency 113/ 81

His subtest scores:

Subtest-Scaled Score/Percentile

Similarities 17/ 99
    Vocabulary 19/ 99.9
    Block Design 10/ 50
    Visual Puzzles 14/ 91
    Matrix Reasoning 16/ 98
    Figure Weights 13/ 84
    Digit Span 13/ 84
    Picture Span 13/ 84
    Coding 11/ 63
    Symbol Search 10/ 50

Thank you in advance to those you can help!

M
    M
    Bumping this to help you get a response.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

Perhaps you could share what your specific question is?

At a glance, my main observations are that, obviously, his performance is quite strong overall, and that all of his lowest scores are timed or fine-motor tasks, with consistent differences within clusters in favor of the task with fewer time constraints, fewer motor demands, or both. In isolation, this is not cause for undue concern, as we are talking about a very small child, whose fine motor skills are likely no better than his age peers, and who has limited test-taking experience, both of which can contribute to this pattern. It may, however, mean that his profile drifts upward in the affected areas (VCI, FRI, PSI) in later years, as these developmental factors (presumably) become less important.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    T
    tkl44 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you! Very much appreciated.

T
    tkl44 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post aeh! I�m so new to all of this, I was just looking for any help/observations that this group of experts could provide !

I was initially just putting my son�s scores out there to see how others interpreted them. I maybe should have provided more detail. I didn�t want to bore everyone!

You seems to have honed in on a few of my concerns.

I was worried about the spread in scores. Mainly wondering since he is only reading at an average 6 year old level (the psychologist said I should keep an eye on that which made me concerned) could be 2e or have convergence insufficiency. Or if it was simply because he�s 6 ! Like you suggested ;-)

I also wondered how �gifted� he looks on paper. I know that sounds ridiculous but I was looking for a few objective opinions from people who have experience with the WISC V. A little background is that talking to my son you quickly realize that he�s gifted and thinks quite differently than his peers (and has always done so) but so much of this is masked in the traditional school setting . He didn�t qualify for his school�s G and T program because he didn�t do well enough on the Cogat. He�s pretty unhappy at school which is hard to watch considering he has an insatiable appetite for learning (STEM , Dinosaurs, animals, how the world works etc). He�s a round peg and school is a square hole :-(I�ve already started meeting with the principal and key teachers to request differentiated instruction to see if that helps with his motivation towards his school work.

Any further advice from anyone here would be so appreciated. I realize he�s not profoundly gifted which is the main focus of this board but I really could use everyone�s expertise/experience.

Thank you!

I
    I
    You've received great info above. smile I'll just add that for future, you might want to keep in mind the Davidson Young Scholars (DYS) program if that might be of interest to your family.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM