Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Hi all,

I wanted to ask before I do it: Is it ok to mention my new blog on kids' books on the recommended resources forum? It's not financially motivated at all, I just really want to share my love of books and perhaps justify continuing to read picture books now that my boys are outgrowing them. smile

So far, I've posted on empowering pink princess books and fun alphabet books, with tons more to come. I thought some of you might be interested.

Thanks!

I
    I
    It sounds OK to me, especially if you keep the posts to one thread (which members may easily identify and skip over if so desired), but others may feel differently. The Board Rules suggest contacting admin if you have any questions on this:
    Originally Posted by excerpt from Board Rules
    Spam messages are prohibited on this forum and include the following:

Any message posted for the sole purpose of selling something.
    Any message posted for the sole purpose of soliciting financial contributions to a cause, organization or other entity. If a member believes that there is a legitimate need to post such a message, s/he should contact the moderator.
    Any message posted for the primary purpose of driving increased site visits, such as repeated links to a blog, commercial site or other organization.

Clearly, during the course of a discussion, members will link to sites that are relevant to the topic. Drawing attention to resources and sources of information contributes positively to a discussion and is an important part of any online conversation. Members may also start threads with links that interest others. Providing links in this way is encouraged. In contrast, the no-spam rule specifically prohibits manufactured attempts at driving people to a particular site. As an example, repeated linking by a member to a personal site is potential spamming behavior.

Because gray areas exist with regard to this subject, the moderator has the sole authority to determine what posts are spam. Members who believe that they have identified spam should contact the moderator, who will make a decision, and, if necessary, contact the offending party and/or revoke that person’s posting privileges. If you have any questions about the above board guidelines, please contact a d m i n . . .
    Three more thoughts:
    1) Might your blog reveal your identity? Board Rules discourage this.
    2) Some members have their blog web address in their signature line, added to posts on this forum.
    3) Expect some pushback on content. For example, there was a bit of controversy on the forums when a well-known children's building-block manufacturer announced pink building blocks, to encourage girls in engineering, as a STEM field. Some objected to the stereotype that girls like pink, and felt the initiative was damaging to girls, rather than encouraging.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you for such a thorough response, Indigo. It's purely to offer book suggestions and I'll only do it once, so I'm probably fine based on the above. As for pushback on content, I don't mind engaging in lively discussions. Thanks!

I
    I
    Would it go among the discussion threads of book recommendations (by age), within the Recommended Resources forum? smile

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    That's where I was going to add it, yes. Although I'm the last one who posted there a whole year ago, so it's clearly not getting any traffic. Maybe those posts aren't read because people don't tend to be interested in long-standing threads? I would think people on here would love to exchange about great books for kids! smile

I
    I
    The threads get MANY more reads than posts. (For example, the SPOILERS thread on the movie "gifted" has only 6 posts by 3 members, yet has 275 reads.)

My thought on post placement and discussion thread placement is this: Our generous host for this forum, Davidson Institute for Talent Development, is striving to help ALL families... both those here now and those who follow. Having discussion threads and posts in designated places makes it much easier to search and find meaningful results. This provides better access to all, in an efficient manner with less time spent.

As an alternative, when members begin new book threads elsewhere, a post can be made in the appropriate book recommendations (by age) discussion thread(s) in the Recommended Resources forum... pointing to that new thread elsewhere. Again, this is to help future readers of the forums. smile

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Excellent points. Thanks!

I
    I
    Interesting blog post... great list of tips that everyone can use... some really neat books, too, that I had not seen previously. Thanks for sharing! smile

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thanks, indigo. And there are so many more I want to recommend! I'm just amazed how many terrific kids' books are relatively unknown. I look at friends' kids' bookshelves and see such boring, bland books and think it's no wonder they don't enjoy reading. I'm really inspired to do something about it.

And I'm starting to think that I'm equipped to do it. Yesterday, a colleague at the office asked if I could recommend any picture books that would help her teach lowercase letters to her daughter without putting her to sleep. I was so happy to be able to recommend the perfect book (The Sleepy Little Alphabet)!

If I continue and think it could be helpful to people here, I might actually just contact the admin for the forum to ask for permission to post about my book blog posts. I want to get the recommendations out there, and am not exactly sure how to do it. Other suggestions are welcome! smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM