Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to this community. I have two daughters, ages 5 and 2. DD5 just finished testing as part of an application to a local school for gifted kids (Science and Arts Academy in the Chicago area). We haven't gotten the results back yet, but they had to extend testing by several hours because she kept maxing out sub-tests, so we're pretty sure she's even beyond what we expected. Someone recently mentioned feeling overwhelmed and a bit scared at really realizing that your kid really is HG or PG, and I'm definitely feeling that now!

I would love some advice from other parents on what to do with this kid on weekends and school breaks! She currently goes to a Montessori preschool, where she has done well, but frequently complains of being bored. She absolutely lit up at the IQ testing. She didn't want to leave when it was time to go and begged to go back. Last night told me nearly in tears that she's sad that she won't get to see "Steph" (the therapist who did the testing with her over two days) again.

She clearly craves the mental stimulation. She asks me to do "plus work" (I write out addition equations and she solves them) and math seems to be her favorite right now. Unfortunately, while she is reading basic words (up to four letters with non-irregular sounds), she can't read well enough to do a lot of activities on her own yet.

I try to do some things with her on weekends, but it's tough with a 2.5 year old, "spirited" toddler (probably also gifted, but boy is she a handful). ODD winds up coloring and then begs to watch TV, which makes her an uber grump for the rest of the day.

Any advice on how to keep her mind engaged on weekends and breaks?

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    If she likes math, get decks of flash cards and have her sort them by the answer. It takes a while.

H
    H
    Are there any inexpensive museums, zoos or gardens in your area? They are very stimulating, the 2.5 year old could be in a stroller, and they are great at tiring kids out.

Libraries and community centers often have programs for kids during school breaks and days off too. Try to get on their email distribution list.

PS, I second the recommendation to teach housekeeping and cooking. It is often overlooked but kids really do need to learn those things AND it takes a lot of time.

Last edited by howdy; 11/30/16 01:25 PM.
    _
    _
    Originally Posted by spaghetti
    Mostly, figure out who she is and what she likes and what is interesting at the moment and honor that.

This! At this age with DS we did a GREAT job of helping him learn deeply about and become engrossed in things he was passionate about. Now that he's busy with elementary school and has homework we seem to get less of that.

A
    A
    I suggest lots of books, puzzles (tangrams, Lonpos etc), strategy games, documentaries, music (sign her up for lessons that are designed as fun interactive classes - they give light homework practice that she can do), dot-to-dot coloring books, cuisenaire rods that she can play with by herself, legos etc.

R
    R
    My daughter also attended a Montessori school. When she was younger, I was able to set up a lot of Montessori activities for her to work on by herself at our house. She was already very familiar with many of the activities from her time at school and was happy to work on them independently.

There are ton of websites full of Montessori resources that you could use for ideas. Believe me that you are not alone in wondering how to keep young children engaged all day long. smile

I also agree with you about TV making children grumpy. I made a hard rule that we didn't watch TV during the day or else she continually pestered me about it. If my daughter thought that watching Wild Kratz was even remotely a possibility, then she didn't want to do anything else.

In any case, here are some ideas that worked well for us and all of the sites below should have some other good suggestions too.

One of my daughter's favorite practical life activities was sewing: http://www.howwemontessori.com/how-...-montessori-practical-life-projects.html

Since it is the holiday season, a gift wrapping lesson would be very appropriate: http://mymontessorijourney.typepad.com/my_montessori_journey/2010/12/gift-wrapping-work.html

Your daughter sounds like she might enjoy using a Montessori Finger Chart: http://totschool.shannons.org/using-a-montessori-finger-chart-for-addition/

A child doesn't need to know how to read yet to work with three-part cards:
    http://thehelpfulgarden.blogspot.com/2012/11/montessori-botany-nomenclature-set-for.html

Word Building with the Movable Alphabet sounds like it would be about right your daughter too:
    http://totschool.shannons.org/building-words-with-the-movable-alphabet/

Hope some of those work for you!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM