Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Marilyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello

I was hoping to hear from anyone else that has had a similar story so please feel free to comment.

I will spare you all the reading and details of a LOOOOONG story. So I will just sum it up for you:

1. School had no gifted program to offer my son, so school's solution was a whole grade skip (which we were 100% on board).

2. However.... the school spent the entire year delaying the documentation required to make it official for the County.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Does anyone know any case study/law suit; or federal/state penalty for failure to comply with state statue/documentation?

We're in Florida.

Thanks!
    M

Last edited by Marilyn; 08/05/16 11:51 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Was the grade in question 3 or 4, by any chance? Florida has messaging about FCAT performance in grade 3 in order to promote to 4. Nominally, local school districts may make their own promotion/retention decisions, but districts interpret this different ways. They may have delayed official documentation to get around this FCAT consideration, or to avoid giving him the FCAT a year earlier than anticipated (which makes their school test numbers look worse/not as good). A related possibility has to do with the grade of record as of the official state enrollment count date (often October 1st), which determines both funding and standardized testing grade in many states. If they changed his grade assignment after the count date, it might have interfered (again) with school test data for that school year.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    Marilyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    It was skipping 1st into 2nd. Now it would be skipping 2nd into 3rd.

The school changed it in their system but never did the paperwork for the county.

G
    G
    I was going to guess the same as aeh.

Have you asked the principal for a copy of the appropriate paperwork in writing? I've found that for a lot of things that happen rarely in a school like skips, not everyone realizes all the steps that need to be taken.

If the school changed it in their system, then you have paperwork that your son completed the accelerated grade, which is what you need in case of a move or change in building principal.

I don't know FL at all, but in my state there's a deadline. You have to know which paragraph to read deep in the gifted regs to know that, though.

Last edited by geofizz; 08/05/16 12:51 PM.
    E
    E
    I can't even tell what happened from your OP. Did the school put him in a higher grade classroom, or didn't they? What was the documentation that was delayed, and is it submitted now?

Val Offline
    This was so easy when my first child skipped 3rd. They just circled a different grade on the re-enrollment form and added his name to the next class. What kind of paperwork does the school have to do for the county? Or are they just using paperwork as an excuse because they changed their minds?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    So if you look at the introduction in this document (http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/7574/urlt/0099979-chapter1.pdf), you will see that the enrollment report (survey 6) goes in September 30, which means that any changes in grade placement that occur after that point really can't make it into the state report until the following year, which means there is no rush for the district to report it to any levels above them (county or state), since the state will not collect that information until the following September 30.

BTW, this is not a gifted or special ed reg. It's just a baseline state data reporting deadline.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    S
    Similar situation in that by the time I realized my son needed acceleration, the application deadline was 11 months past. Yep. That particular elementary school parents have to apply by Feb 15 for the following school year.

The school he's in now (same district) is 100% flexible about subject acceleration. He subject accelerated from 1st to 6th+ grade in 2 years. The district superintendent had to approve the official skip from 4th to 7th - which took only 1 meeting between his school's director and the district superintendent. The school is still allowing subject acceleration beyond that.

2 schools in the same district - radically different timelines for acceleration process.

P
    P
    Is the lack of follow-up with paperwork causing you issues for enrolling your ds this fall? If it is, you might find help through wrightslaw.org. Check their yellow pages - you might be able to find either a parent advocate group or pro-bono legal agency who will be able to answer your question. The key is finding someone local if possible.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM