Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    Emma B. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Hello All! Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to write long posts. This is my one and only long introduction.

I looked up this forum to find resources. I think Gifted people are like the heroes from X-Men, they need to know there's people like them and that they can learn how to use/control their gifts.

I am a gifted adult, tested when I was young. I had some issues with being abused, orphaned, emancipated at 15. I am currently in my mid-twenties, newly graduated from university.

During my university years, I did OK, but I know I could have done better. Being stuck in a big name university with auditoriums filled with up to 600 students got me pretty lost.

The peachy side: I speak five languages, play piano, can paint/draw/cook nearly anything, have excellent long-term memory, read British and French masterpiece literature from the age of 8, former spelling bee champ & learned etymology/linguistics from grade school, got the GED on the first try without really going to high school, and landed nearly full grants/scholarships through college. Worked up to four jobs at a time through college.

The worrisome side: I strain to keep on track with connecting to people. Situations where there's too much going on tend to be overwhelming. Being gifted, coupled with the residual effects of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder have given me a unique perspective. I get skittish, jumpy, easily discouraged, and have trouble starting things. Graduated with a 3.2 GPA frown

I'm striving to claim accountability for my life, utilize my gifts and talents optimally, discipline myself, nip perfectionism in the bud, live passionately, and believe in myself.
    -Emma

C
    C
    Welcome Emma. It sounds like you are on the right track now. Don't give up.

W
    W
    That's great that you are so in touch with yourself. Many people are not self-reflective at all. You are doing great. Check out on-line sights about being profoundly gifted as well. You will probably find them very helpful.

Make sure you have a place for yourself to be a haven. I have observed that gifted people have very busy, productive lives. They need meaningful work. Their personal space has to a place to give them back what their work takes from them.

I think you are at such a great stage and can make every stage great. Really think hard about what you want to be doing each day and who you like to spend your time with.

A certain percentage of gifted people that I have observed prefer not to be in an environment filled with lots of other non-gifted adults, so they work with children or animals or both.

You can do great among non-gifted adults, but we have to study them and adjust and try to fit in better or our intensity can really confuse them and cause problems.

Know all of your sensitivities and overexcitabilities. For example, I am looking for a great pair of sound-reducing headphones that won't make me feel totally cut-off but will give me more reading time that I very much need.

I know you will figure it all out. You are so talented. You are going to enjoy life after the college years. There are so many interesting things to do and learn. Ebrace everything you love and are passionate about.

W
    W
    *embrace

G
    G
    Hi Emma,
    Both my girls were in orphanages when we adopted them. My younger one had been so delayed that she was thought to be MR when she was 18 months old. Fast forward - she is high gifted and AMAZING - like YOU. Yes, your history and my daughters' histories are part of yourselves, but that is not all you guys are made of - you all have many gifts (and not just your smarts!!).
    Last week a young woman who had been adopted from a Romanian orphanage spoke to a clinic where I work. She had gone through horrible events that no one should endure. She is using her past to help others by getting a degree in mental health. She basically is "making lemonade out of lemons" as the old saying goes. I imagine that you are giving back to the world too!!
    So, best wishes. You are strong.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM