Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #179282 01/12/14 07:17 AM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Like, literally.

Just curious if your children have exceptionally large heads. Both my kids have heads that are WAY above the 99th percentiles on the chart. I always joked "big head means big brain," but when I've mentioned it to other parents of gifted, they've often commented that *their* kids had big heads too.

I thought it was an interesting correlation and wanted a larger sample size...

smile

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    My father has a big head and he's PG or thereabouts.

Both of my children had heads a bit below average as infants/toddlers (or whenever they stop taking head measurements). Both are HGish/HG+.

H
    H
    My family is full of big heads and gifted big brains too.

But when my DD was a baby I mentioned the worry over the 99% head and 25% weight. We are of Scandinavian descent and he said it is common for people of our ancestry....I think he called it a Nordic Noggin.

D
    D
    Yes, DD (DYS)'s head was always I think 99th percentile (while they were still measuring). But that is apparently (also?) correlated with being on the Autism Spectrum, or at least so we have been told. And DD definitely is on there also, but IMO just barely.

Last edited by Dbat; 01/12/14 07:38 AM. Reason: clarification
    E
    E
    My husband and both kids all have big heads. But mine is unusually small, and I probably was the most gifted of us all as a child.

Z
    Z
    DS8's head circumference is average... for an 18 year old. Height is average for a 10 year old.

B
    B
    Both of mine had very large heads as toddlers, now they are large (above average) but not off the chart huge. DS's head is a kind of odd shape (very round and we have problems getting helmets to fit him).
    I think I have read somewhere that gifted children tend to have large heads, but it is also true of some genetic disorders. DS's head is so round that the neurosurgeon said that might be why he has a possible chiari malformation. (and just to note it doesn't look abnormal or anything, it's just something you'd notice if you made a point of comparing his head to other kids' heads. His cousin, who is 3 years older, has a head that is much smaller than DS!).

I was reading about Albert Einstein and about how his parents said he had such a huge, odd, round head as a baby. Sounds like DS.

22B Offline

S
    S
    Dh....big noggin, big features on his face, probably above average in intelligence to gifted....he is gifted artistically for sure.

Me...averaged sized head...same as husband iq probably...I don't know...I had two pg brothers one older and one younger...so I always felt not quite as quick,fast, intelligent, smart whatever as them...but I have no perspective on my own abilities.

Ds 13.... Narrow head either average to low average in size. Gifted, not pg though, Asperger's

Ds 9. Giant head like dad, PG

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    M
    Both had big heads as babies / toddlers ... in the 99th percentile. Now they are no longer "that big". The issue only comes up when I need to put a sweatshirt with a hoodie that does not have a zipper on DS3.9! lol Then I get reminded that his head is still a little bigger and he's the more gifted (at least it's our suspicion)

I used to be laughed at by my cousins and friends for having a big head (I'm otherwise pretty petite so the head was standing out! lol)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM