Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    P
    Portia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    We just finished reading Dahl's "Matilda". I found it very interesting to watch DS's reaction to it as the book makes a very strong point that Matilda is very unusual. He did not really see how she was all that different until she was able to move matter.

I thought it might be fun to hear how other children reacted reading about a character so similar to themselves.

DD loves Matilda! Well, she loves many of Dahl's child-protagonists, actually. They all have that element of being a singular center in a crazy and hostile world.

DD has found that the song Quiet from the musical almost perfectly encapsulates the experience of being HG+.

I love that there is a message that different is not "bad" in Dahl's works. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    S
    My DS must have read Matilda three times in 1st and 2nd grade. He really identified with her. My DD loved it, too. But she's much more gentle than him, and the meanness was almost too much for her to take, so I don't think she'll read it again for quite a while.

M
    M
    I don't have anything to contribute (my ds hasn't read Matilda yet). He does love Dahl books in general. I was not suggesting this one, but now I shall. (I already have it in my closet. I've been giving it as a gift.)

Thanks for sharing. My ds is in great need of "feeling" that being different is ok.

K
    K
    DS 5 is reading Matilda now. He pointed out that she learned to read as a baby like he did. He was impressed with her math skills and wanted to know if he could have a book by Dickens.

K
    K
    DS also told the Director at his Preschool that he was very thankful that she was not in the least like Miss Trunchbull!

C
    C
    I'm going to pick this up for DS. Thanks!

S
    S
    DD read Matilda this summer and loved it. Her aunt saw the musical and sent the London Cast recording and other merch and basically the entire family could sing the full album through now. She just sang "Quiet" for her weekly recitation at school and was so disappointed the kids only knew Matilda from the movie. She was Matilda for Halloween, too. I'm glad you posted this; I've been meaning to bring it up here as a good relatable character.

N
    N
    Oddly, I don't recall ever having read Matilda. I'll have to check it out. Maybe it will ring a bell when I see it.

S
    S
    My son loved it. He was very mad at how Matilda's parents treated her lol (sensitive kid). He also enjoyed her ability to trick miss trunchbull. He has a very high reading level, but enjoys books with some comedy in them, so this was great. I didn't actually ask him what he thought of Matilda's character so I will have to do that and see if he related!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM