Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #139512 10/03/12 05:42 AM
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I realize this isn't the end of the world, but DD8 is obsessively reading and rereading the books in the Warriors/Seekers series by Erin Hunter and almost nothing else. These books are definitely below where she can read, although not vastly below it. I wouldn't think was a big deal except that at school, for some reason, this year's teacher seems to be putting low-level books on the free reading shelf (much easier than her 2nd-grade teacher's picks...???) and the books they are reading in class together are also easier than last year (again, ?) So I don't think there's any growth to speak of happening in terms of reading for her. This is all she read all summer as well, for the most part.

I don't like to make a big deal, or any deal at all, out of reading matter. So I'm not, other than attempting to strew other books in her path (these generally don't get read). Any thoughts, though? Perhaps some suggestions of similar books that would be a bit more challenging? I don't really know what is going on with the school thing. It seems like maybe this year is "about" math whereas last year they were doing more advanced in-class reading and writing. (It may be the class make-up. I know they pretested. She is at a gifted magnet.)

ETA: This happened to us once before when DD was in K and obsessed with, agh, Rainbow Fairies. She read every single one (70+). She hasn't managed to read every single Hunter book yet because there are a ton and they're very popular, but it won't be long. However, that was her only other series obsession.

Last edited by ultramarina; 10/03/12 05:45 AM.
    D
    D
    I would just make sure she gets every. single. Warriors book out there. Once she's read them all, she will be able to let it rest. smile
    She sounds like someone with good follow through!

G
    G
    My DD10 will happily reread Warriors books, so reading them all won't "fix" the problem. Warriors books have complicated, interwoven stories with some interesting allusions requiring making inferences. While not my kind of literature, I don't see a problem with them.

We stopped worrying about DD reading "at her level" vs "below her level" long ago, and starting thinking about loving reading. Growing as a reader is not a linear process once the basics are mastered.

I'm currently rereading Harry Potter. It's definitely below my level, but I'm certainly enjoying it.

D
    D
    I was a big re-reader as a kid. Seems to have done me little harm in the scheme of things.

Keeping other material handy is a good idea. And maybe cultivating a relationship with a children's librarian who can identify closely related books to jump off into?

DeeDee

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    I'm in the same boat with my two because they're both reading below-level stuff at the moment. LOL I also remember being the child in this scenario and having teachers try and encourage me to read harder books.

I've let it go, because...

1) no phase lasts forever
    2) they're fostering a love of books
    3) it's not just about reading level, but also about personal interest and connection to the content (this is directly from my experience)

and (drum roll)

4) they're still reinforcing spelling and some grammar skills, even if it's below level.

For instance, DD9 (math kid smile ) recently got 100% on a class spelling test, including challenge words that the teacher surprised them with.

So for now I'm letting them read what they want...

Last edited by CCN; 10/03/12 06:57 AM.
    DD7 is reading chapter books with confidence, and yet still she reaches for Berenstain Bears for stretches at a time. I don't worry about it. Kids her age are still drawn to repetition and familiarity. It's a normal part of the development process. As long as she embraces novelty every once in a while, she'll be fine.

E
    E
    I reread books all the time as a kid. I just made emotional connections to certain characters (To Kill a Mockingbird, "advanced" Judy Blume books, Anne of Green Gables series, Sweet Valley High - ahem - wait).

What about introducing her to short stories? There are so many wonderful classics written at higher levels of reading which require more insight into metaphor, foreshadowing, complex character motivation. The best part is they are snippets of a challenge vs sn entire novel. Maybe that could be an afterschooling project?

My ds13 always reread books and still does. I doubt there is a book he has read only once. He has been rereading Harry Potter for 6 years. He has often reads books below his level. It becomes increasingly difficult to find challenging books as they get older, if not impossible. I really cant find challenging books for him anymore. I tend to let it be for the most part as well. We did pushed him to read novels after he spend a couple years only wanting nonfiction books. We didn't take away the Nonfiction books but added the novels into his mix. My dd6 is in the middle of her Rainbow Fairies book craze. Oh yay! (Oozing sarcasm):) She will also go grab a ridiculously below her level Biscuit book from time to time. I agree it fosters their love of reading. I would found the more I suggest books the more they lose interest in what I'm suggesting. I tend to leave the books I want them to read lying around wink They eventually pick them up.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    And maybe cultivating a relationship with a children's librarian who can identify closely related books to jump off into?

Funny you say that - I had this exact conversation with a librarian at our local library. She was explaining where on there website to look for other authors for similar styles to my kids' preferences. I haven't done it yet but intend to.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Don't get me wrong--I am definitely not forbidding her from reading them. It's just, man, it's been months. Like, maybe 5 months. I haven't read any of the books, though I know it's quite an elaborate world and that DD is really into all the characters and subplots and so on.

Warriors books have complicated, interwoven stories with some interesting allusions requiring making inferences. While not my kind of literature, I don't see a problem with them.

I guess I am not favorably impressed by the fact that "Erin Hunter" is a pen name/amalgam (there are 4 authors, IIRC...it's a bit of a factory). Maybe I'm not giving the books enough credit. I think if she were obsessing over Harry POtter I would be less bothered. Okay, I'm a bit of a snob. (DD doesn't know I think this about the books.)

Like I say, I guess it's only bugging me because school is clearly not doing much for her on this front this year. All right, maybe my real problem is dissatisfaction with that curriculum, come to think of it. We have enough other issues going on that I don't particularly want to address that, though. It's a shame; I was very pleased with how reading/writing were handled last year.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM