Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    G
    Giftodd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    This might be a bit OT, but I wanted to ask. My dd's teacher told me today that children don't start to develop more mature social skills until they start to loose their teeth (she thought dd was just start to loose her teeth and this was her explanation for some issues we're having, which are actually related to dd's exceptional social skills and ability to fit in anywhere rather than poor social skills). DD 5.5 started loosing her teeth over 18 months ago, so this was an easy argument to refute, but I have heard other teachers say this too. Is this just a myth (which is seems to be to me) ? I have searched the internet and the journal databases I have access to and can't find a thing on it, which leads me to believe that it is.

I can see how for an ND child, who lost their teeth at an average age, the loss of teeth would probably occur at the same time as they were developing more mature social skills, but I know ND kids who lost teeth early who are developing emotionally at a 'normal' pace, so it seems to me a causal link would be unlikely.

Last edited by Giftodd; 08/23/11 02:12 PM.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    U
    U
    Is your child in a Waldorf school? This is a Waldorf belief. I think it's hokum.

Waldorf pedagogy also holds that children should not/cannot learn to read before they start losing their teeth.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Is your child in a Waldorf school? This is a Waldorf belief. I think it's hokum.

Waldorf pedagogy also holds that children should not/cannot learn to read before they start losing their teeth.

Well my son lost his first tooth at 6 and had been reading for well over 2 years. He was reading at a 4th grade level when he lost his tooth...so don't tell him about Waldorf.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    U
    U
    Oh yeah, I think it's ridiculous! Forgot the eye-rolling smiley. My DD also learned to read before losing her first teeth. She has actually a lost a lot of teeth now, for her age, but emotionally mature is not how I would describe her.

T
    T
    Thats a very weird belief...I'm glad my son (DS8) isn't apart of that school as he didn't lose his first teeth till the last month of 3rd grade! ( granted he was 7 at the time )and has only lost one since.

I don't think losing a few teeth is going to give him an up in maturity either, although it would be nice!

M
    M
    I actually discussed the Waldorf teeth/reading belief with my DD's special ed teacher. She heard Steiner and immediately started saying "No I don't know anything about that and don't agree with their reading philosophies at all." Then she heard "teeth" and changed her tune entirely and said that in fact after 30 years of being a special ed teacher she now asks to see the teeth of the children who get sent to her and for the most part, although she tries and tries, she often doesn't see much progress until they start getting adult teeth. She was clear that this obviously doesn't apply to all children and many children learn to read with ease long prior to getting their teeth, her own children included. But amongst the kids who DON'T learn to read and get sent to her for remediation she does see a definite pattern. She wishes she'd kept all her notes so she could do a study on it. Even more anecdotally than that, my own DD did not turn a corner with reading until she finally started getting adult teeth (at 7+). And then took off fast, she still can't spell though.

Val Offline
    Oh my. You can't make this stuff up.

Originally Posted by The Kingdom of Childhood by Rudolph Steiner
    ...it is not known today how harmful it is when the children learn to read and write too soon. It is a very bad thing to be able to write early. Reading and writing as we have them today are really not suite to the human being till a later age - the eleventh or twelfth year - and the more a child is blessed with not being able to read and write well before this age, the better it is for the later years of life. A child who cannot write properly at thirteen or fourteen (I can speak out of my own experience because I could not do it at that age) is not so hindered for later spiritual development as one who early, at seven or eight years can already read and write perfectly.

And:

Originally Posted by The Waldorf Education Super Site
    However, some Waldorf parents and educators take a more relaxed approach towards early reading. Instead of discouraging reading until the etheric body is born at age 7, or the "cutting of the teeth," they allow for children to learn to read on their own time table. So if your child expresses an interest and aptitude before age 7, you might consider honoring their interest and ability. However, keep in mind that if your child learns to read early, this may have a ripple effect of causing problems in the classroom as your child shares his/her reading ability with other children who are being discouraged from reading. You would not want to bring the "tragedy" of early reading upon another child unintentionally.

The "etheric body" indeed. They don't seem to leave much room for different kinds of children with different kinds of interests (you can let your five-year-old read if you really want to, but of course you'll be scarring him for life, along with his little classmates.)

If this works for your kid, great. But I don't like the sweeping statements. My eleven-year-old would have been tearing his hair out at a Waldorf school and my six-year-old (almost 7 entering third grade, having done a lot of third grade work already) would have no brain left at this point. It seems that they have very early birthday cutoffs, and would want her to start first grade this year!

Last edited by Val; 08/23/11 04:53 PM. Reason: More detail added
    G
    Giftodd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you all for your responses. Val, those quotes are amazing. Goodness, perhaps dd's etheric body was born the week after she turned 4 then (when first tooth lost)? Fortunately she's never been too keen share her reading ability so she hasn't brought the burden of her terrible affliction upon too many others. She's not at a Steiner school, but I think perhaps it's been passed from one teacher and into the school's folk law.

wink

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    M
    M
    Val. Ouch. I really liked the (very vague) concept I had of Steiner schooling - right up until I actually looked into it and realised it absolutely was not for us. I do still find the teeth/reading thing interesting though.

K
    K
    Another teeth theory: My grandmother always said a child can't be potty trained until he/she gets 2 year molars. She also said that kids who don't crawl 9skip that stage and go right to walking) will have a hard time learning to read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM