I'm new to using this forum, although I registered a year or so ago.

My son (age 6) is naturally bright, although I don't use the label "gifted" because we haven't done formal testing. He read before his fourth birthday and began doing addition, subtraction, and some multiplication when he was 4. I wish I could take credit for teaching him, but he picked it up naturally on his own. Now, he does double-digit addition with regrouping and is fluent with addition/subtraction/multiplication/division facts. He does mental math faster than I do.

We didn't seek any advanced work in kindergarten because he needed help with social skills, handwriting, and fine motor skills. But now that he has started first grade, I'd like him to receive more challenging work. He attends a suburban public elementary school where about 40% of students receive free/reduced lunch (i.e., significant poverty population). There is no gifted/talented programming in elementary or middle school.

He took a grade level assessment at Sylvan Learning Center this summer and tested at 3rd grade level for math and 2nd grade level for reading (although I think that reading score is low, based on what he reads at home).

I spoke briefly with his first grade teacher about him possibly getting advanced work, and she kind of brushed it off. Last night, I sent her a deferential e-mail, acknowledging the limited resources she has but asking whether we could meet to discuss getting my son independent math work. (I'd be happy if he could do math lessons on Khan Academy on a tablet instead of listening to his classmates learn to count to 50.) Her e-mailed response was essentially, "thanks for this information, I'll keep it in mind, and thanks for your patience."

I worry about coming across too strong and turning off the teacher (and administrators). Is it appropriate to give the teacher some time to consider this request? How much time?

I will add -- we do plenty of independent work at home, but I don't want him to be bored at school (which he has already expressed). He loves learning and keeps asking when the teacher will teach him some math.

Thanks in advance.