We finally, after 135 days, got our district to hold an acceleration committee meeting. This has been a hard fought battle, but I fear the war is just beginning! (Just kidding, I know it's not a war) We live in Ohio, and Ohio law requires that a committee consisting of the principal (or designate), the gifted coordinator (or someone deemed by the district to have knowledge of gifted kids), the current teacher, the "receiving" teacher and the parents. The decision whether to accelerate is made by the committee.

We have had some rather serious issues with the district attempting to deny DS8 services based upon them retesting and his scores being much lower, and attempting to use their lower score on the IAS as opposed to our psychologists' score, and also trying to use the FSIQ (131) and not the GAI (144). We have concerns that they may try to manipulate the data on the IAS...is that even possible? DH was wondering if we should get a copy of the manual so we know what the scores "should" be. What say you?

Secondly, DS was "unofficially" accelerated in reading last year. They put him back in his normal grade this year for reading, but with the teacher he "accelerated" to last year. Both this third grade teacher and his second grade teacher last year made comments about his immaturity. I posted about it previously. I have done some research since that last post and tend to think it's more OE than immaturity, but how do I back that up?

Third, and last (for now) - should we maybe check with our psychologists' office to see if he or one of his staff can attend the meeting with us? The district seems to be rather suspicious of our results and we wondered if having someone experienced in dealing with gifted kids will help us in the discussion. Our chief concern is that this district does not employ ANYONE with a gifted credential. So we are doubtful that they actually have anyone on staff that really understands gifted kids.

Our meeting is next Wednesday, the 23rd,so DH and I have a LOT of prep to do in a short time! I am sure we can be ready, as I don't think the school psychologist knew what to make of me, I was able to show HER the answers on the state dept of ed website regarding how to handle third grade testing with an acceleration!

Thank you all for your input. Honestly, I don't think we would have gotten where we are now without the many insightful answers to my previous posts!

Mrs. P