Hi!
I am the mom of an 8 year old boy. He is in second grade and has always seemed a bit ahead of his peers but this year he tested at 5th grade for math and 6th grade for reading. He's also interested in things that aren't really available for his age around here, like coding, programming and robotics. The programs we find online or on apps are too advanced, he gets frustrated and gives up.

There is no gifted program in our district. We're from Massachusetts and I read how bad the options are for GAT kids and I am starting to see it for myself.

I want to get him tested for giftedness but this costs $600-1500 dollars (depending on the type of test, I guess). I just called my insurance and they don't cover it. We have decent insurance so I was hoping they would, but I guess not.

There is a private school in town that seems more geared towards his abilities and is very hands on and creative, but we applied and while he did get accepted, financial aid did not give us enough for it to be affordable for us at this time. I'm not currently working so I am planning on getting a job, saving up and possibly revisiting the idea next year.

I guess I just don't know what to do next. He says he hates school and while I think he is exaggerating a bit, I know he is bored. The thing is, how do we know if he's always going to be so ahead of his grade or if he will eventually even out? Is there any place I can look into for reduced rate gifted testing or different payment options?

I guess I'm wondering what you all think I should do next--much appreciated!