I need some tips on how to navigate our obstructive middle school principal so that DS12 can work at his level. I just discovered through the grapevine that it's a strong possibility the "honors" language arts program will be cut next year.

He currently is in the 7th grade version of this class and it has been a huge disappointment to him and us. DD slogged through the same 8th grade class a few years ago. Teacher is a great woman, but at the time about half of the class was reading at a 4th grade level! DS is beyond differentiation as his reading and comprehension level last summer was equivalent to a college freshman.

We are thinking of skipping him to the high school freshman english honors class so that he'll be somewhat challenged. I'm concerned that principal will toss out that he's missing required learning such as the holocaust, media and consumer units. None of this concerns us as he's a history buff and knows full well about the holocaust and I plan on having him read Anne Frank's diary.

Media and consumer not worried about as I worked in tv for years and both my kids are well versed on both subjects. But how do I convince school? High school principal is fine with this as ds will already be attending for Algebra 2.