We had our "transition" meeting today, with DS8's school team. We've added a couple of new members, the middle school / high school principal and the MS/HS GT coordinator who will also be his math teacher next year.

I wasn't holding out any great hope for the principal, as DH has had some run-ins with her on another issue (involving DI) and she's sent some truly horrific emails. She does not come across as a warm and fuzzy lady, for sure, but she did ask some good questions and come up with some good answers and took a lot of notes. And then there was one response that told me she "gets it", that I had to laugh at.

We were discussing the fact that one big thing we want out of this MS math class is to teach DS how to have homework -- he really hasn't had much of that in three years of elementary, because he is always done with everything. The teacher said she assigns the homework at the end of the class each day. And principal looks at her and says, "But you write it on the board before the class?" I almost died laughing. I can just see DS (as I always did) looking at the assignment on the board and zoning out on the class to do the homework! Teacher says she doesn't write it until the end of the class, so we won't have to worry about that. smile

I just hope that 6th grade math with this teacher will be in-depth enough to keep him occupied, since he's almost done with 7th grade math on ALEKS. Actually he's been almost done with that for several months, as he really burned out on it and math in general after going through 3rd to 7th in ALEKS this school year. I know that he probably doesn't have the depth that the class should go into, though, so hopefully it will work ok.