My dd3 was a very early reader... not only that, but she has progressed at lightening speed....When they told me at her preschool in October, that they would do some reading with her I was thrilled. But first they said, they would need to �test� her and see if she knew her letter sounds� ok, fine, done. Next they said they would need to �test� her and see if she knew her letter blends.. ugh� fine� done. So after about a month they started giving her these ridiculously easy readers� and I thought to myself.. ok � it will not take them long to figure out that these are too easy.
I waited patiently for about a month � then I tried to gently mention that these were a bit too easy, and perhaps they could move through them more quickly� no luck. I mentioned a second time, could she please move to the next level? No luck. I mentioned a third time � perhaps she could move ahead? Well, by this time she had finished all the silly readers in set one and is now in set two and it seems like they are going to make her read all of set two � such a total waste of time. I don�t get it� if she is reading one on one with the teacher, why can�t they give her something more appropriate?
So I got a bit frustrated and sent a second grade reading textbook in with her with a little note saying that this is one of the books that dd3 likes to read at home, and perhaps they could read that instead. Well, it got sent back home.. the teacher said, �we have books like this here� .. and started sending her back home with the same boring, too easy nonsense.
OK, so now what do I do? I appreciate that they are trying � but come on people! I am really getting aggravated. I mean it is February, how long is this going to take!? How do I get the teacher to give her something more appropriate? Or, given that she is only three, perhaps I should just drop it? It just seems like, if they are willing to take the time to read with her � would it really be so hard to give her something at her reading level? Why can�t they tell that these are too easy? How do I get what I think is appropriate for my daughter without pissing off the teacher?
Obviously, I am new to this. Advice appreciated.