My first real attempts at advocacy. I called DD4s school to see if I could check out the K program. DD4 would be in pre-K this fall at this school. The GT coordinator answered the phone and wanted to meet with me. I went in and she showed me the class and we talked about DD. I told her I was concerned about K after visiting some K classes. She said they have several kids like mine who go to enrichment classes so she would not be alone. I liked that part. I talked to her about getting more challenge in reading and she showed me the books she had for K which DD is way beyond.

A few things she said made me nervous. She said it was a good idea to hold her back, have her start K at almost 6, for maturity reasons and that the school had accelerated a child once and it did not go well. She said several times that I should let her be a kid and that children learn best through play and that play is very important. I agree play is important, but it seemed like she said it in a way that was invalidating my concerns.

When I told her about concerns we had about DD acting upset after preschool and complaining about peers not understanding her she gave me the impression she did not believe me because the teacher had not reported concerns. I left feeling a little apprehensive.

The next day DD took two books to school that she wanted to read to her teacher. We thought it would be a good idea if the teacher had a better idea of where she is at so they can figure out where to place her.

The next day DD came home very upset saying the teacher did not want her to read at school and that she was being mean to her all day. This is a teacher that DD has previously liked. She goes to this program for the teacher and has not seemed to connect with her peers as much. We have had her keep going because it is only a couple of hours three times a week and she asks to go. We do like her teacher and the principal and have had for the most part good experiences in the past.

I am really at a loss. My DD is also upset. We also are looking into a language immersion program and early entrance at a public school for the fall. The public school wants info from her preschool to decide if she is ready for early entrance. Her preschool seems not in favor of acceleration. I am concerned about how they will handle things with this other school if we decide to do language immersion instead of their program.

We just want to find a good fit for school and to spare DD the harassment we went through as children. I want to find a place were she can be herself and be appreciated for it. I am starting to worry this place might not exist. Any advice? I'm not sure how to handle this or what to do from here. I am afraid I made a mess of things. Help!