I have posted about my DD (6) before. We had her tested in the spring and she played mind games with the psych and basically made the results meaningless. Enough to definitely raise the possibility of highly gifted - but not enough to prove she is even barely above average.

Well, school started and I spoke with the teacher about my concerns about her underachievement. The teacher blew me off - the curriculum is challenging enough, all the kids in my class are very smart or gifted (selective private school - so this is true), etc.

Well, yesterday, DH went in for Donuts for Daddy and saw the teacher. She is planning to start some special enrichment activities with DD because she is too far ahead of the other kids and is bored with the work they are doing.

3 weeks into first grade and she is planning to start writing paragraphs with her.

I teared up. Happy that the teacher sees it - scared that maybe she really is her brother's sister, if you know what I mean. It is intimidating enough to have one child leaping ahead - what if I have two?

I know - enrichment doesn't mean she will end up grade skipping.... but I can't help but to be scared. In the last few weeks, she has started reading books at a 3rd grade level for pleasure. Biographies of King Tut and Annie Oakley. Not your normal stuff for a barely 6 yo girl. She told me that she prefers to read about the 'lives of real people'.

Remember.... this is the kid who watched a PBS show about gamma ray bursts in outer space and deduced that they were coming from blackholes 20 minutes before the narrator ever mentioned that as a possibility.

Mary

Mary