Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    So first post on the site but an important question. We have a profoundly gifted son who is in the 99th percentile. He's 10 and doing most subjects at the high school level, especially math. We're homeschooling him since going to school just didn't fit his needs or personality. We would like to explore having him complete high school during his middle school ages and begin working on a degree during his high school aged years. I just have no idea where to start as far as making sure the HS level courses would count for credit. Is it possible for him to work on high school and college at the same time? I'm sure there's lots of you out there who have some knowledge and guidance for something like this. Fire away!

I
    I
    Welcome!

A few ideas:

1) Look at your State's high school graduation requirements. You may find this by reading your State's legislation and/or your State Department of Education website.

2) Look at the websites of several colleges which your child might wish to apply to, and take note of their admission requirements.

3) Here is a post on a recent thread, the second half of which lists some resources which may be of interest.

4) The Davidson Database has helpful articles including Thoughts About College Admission and Writing Transcripts, by Wes Beach.

5) These books by Elizabeth Wissner Gross were written a decade ago however much of the information still applies:
    What High Schools Don't Tell You and Other Parents Don't Want You to Know,
    What Colleges Don't Tell You, and Other Parents Don't Want You to Know.
    These books provide tips and ideas on what to do during the middle school years and high school years to help your child find and pursue opportunities in his/her areas of strength.

6) Because you mention that your child is profoundly gifted and in the 99th percentile, have you considered applying for him to become part of the Davidson Young Scholars (DYS) program?

7) In the event that your username is a real, identifiable name, you may wish to change it to a nickname to protect your child's anonymity, consistent with the forum rules.

A
    A
    Just for background (or consideration if it turns out you really like the idea), you might like to take a look at the early entrance options available at the University of Washington's Robinson Center for Young Scholars: https://robinsoncenter.uw.edu/programs/
    They have several levels of programs for differing age ranges and needs. This is a very well-developed early entrance support system, probably the best one in the country. The Transition School in particular is highly competitive, but you never know; if your kid ends up thinking it could be right for him when h for him when he's approaching the age range (7th/8th grade) you can support him in applying.
    Definitely check out the Davidson Young Scholars program.
    If any of this stuff had been around when I was that age I'd have totally jumped on it, regardless of what my parents might think of the notion. :-)

A polymath all my life; extreme measures never managed to diminish it. Happy to discuss being PG.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM