Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 131 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    I just listened to our DD10 state something about not wanting her homework to sound like she is too smart. AAAAAAH! The dreaded "dumbing down" syndrome has hit our house! Can you all list some personal conversations, tips, books that you have used to beat back this demon?
    FYI - DD is mentored by a college student and is in Science Olympiad so it's not like she isn't surrounded by people who love to learn.
    DD is choosing to "dumb down" her writing for language arts. This is where it seems to be an issue.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by greenlotus
    I just listened to our DD10 state something about not wanting her homework to sound like she is too smart... DD is choosing to "dumb down" her writing for language arts. This is where it seems to be an issue.
    You may wish to ask what she was thinking when she said this.

For example, her thoughts may be reflective of "knowing her audience" and keen "perspective taking", therefore having an interest in writing in a way that may resonate with others. In this example, the motivation to simplify her writing may be coming from a positive place.

A less positive example of a possible motivation for a student to wish to "dumb down" their writing may be the student having inklings of a practice of differentiated task demands, in which top students are not taught at a higher level (with appropriate curriculum placement, pacing, and intellectual peers in their zone of proximal development) but rather are required to produce at a higher level to achieve the same scoring or grades.

It may be important to learn what your daughter is thinking before making a decision to intervene in her strategy.

P
    P
    I'd talk to your dd to try to find out the reasons behind why she's saying she doesn't want her homework to sound like she's too smart. Is it possible the comment came after a parent had looked at her work and asked her to add more? If it's something like that, I'd just respect what she had to say. I've run into situations like that with my kids where my kids had a much better idea of what the teacher wanted in the assignment than I did.

OTOH, if she's worried about sounding smarter than peers, or if she's had comments from the teacher saying she was "trying to sound smart" etc - whatever - I'd wonder if it tied back in with the anxiety you'd mentioned in your earlier post, and if there's something more going on at school that you need to dig into?

*OR* it's possible it's just trying to "dumb-down" to fit in with peers, and that's the *only* thing that's up, then you can talk to her about how to be true to yourself and how trying to be someone you aren't ultimately doesn't work.

Best wishes,

polarbear

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I'd talk to your dd to try to find out the reasons behind why she's saying she doesn't want her homework to sound like she's too smart.

*OR* it's possible it's just trying to "dumb-down" to fit in with peers, and that's the *only* thing that's up, then you can talk to her about how to be true to yourself and how trying to be someone you aren't ultimately doesn't work.
    When I was able to get 2 seconds of DD's time away from Minecraft, I pulled out a bit of information. I asked a general question of both my girls after stating that across the US there was a problem with middle school girls "dumbing down", pretending to be less smart than they are - did they see this at their middle school? DD11 thought that was odd and said she hadn't seen anyone doing that. She left the room, and I noticed that DD10 was trying to get back on Minecraft (evading the question). She finally said that "maybe girls do it so other kids don't think they are weird." I asked if that happened at her school. After conversing about other people, I reminded her that she had talked about changing her language arts papers so she wouldn't sound so smart.

Well, after lots of nudging and pulling, she finally said she was concerned about being seen as strange, but that she hadn't really noticed any taunting or teasing of anyone about being smart. She said she is just producing her regular writing and not altering it.

So, she is worried about being "weird". And, she is back to noting what makes girls popular (certain tee shirts and I don't remember the other stuff). Definitely some insecurity going on.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    PS - I'd still like some personal stories about how people dealt with their child not wanting to stand out (which makes me think of that gopher game where people try to smash the gopher into the hole).

C
    C
    Whack-a-mole is the game

C
    C
    If a child is a "blender" one can try to surround them with smart peers/friends. So if they are going to blend at least they "blend smart".

C
    C
    I hated being seen as weird as a kid (heck, also as an adult) but to me there was/is a line between not wanting to stand out and actually dumbing down. I didn't want to attract attention so for things like class participation I'd do the bare minimum and try to fly under the radar. Probably brought my grades down but it was worth it to maintain my teenage social life and not attract negative attention. Tests, I'd write everything I could and hope the teacher wouldn't single me out when handing out marks. I usually didn't dumb things down although if I was called on in class I wouldn't exactly go out of my way to show off either. I have no idea what could have been said or done to encourage me to not downplay things. Honestly, I'm an introvert who was trying to survive junior/senior high school which can be a pretty nasty place at times. Outside of school I read like crazy, had great conversations with family and close friends and was able to fully be myself. Not sure if that helps or not but figured I'd offer one view from the other side.

My DD10 has experienced being different in a number of ways. It was celebrated in pre-K. She was ostracized by her teacher for it in K. Other years, it has fallen in between the two extremes.

DD recently purchased a new journal, and she proudly displayed the cover to me, which says, "Why bother trying to fit in when you were born to stand out?" After I read it, she said something to the effect of, "Well, I'm a weirdo anyway, I might as well embrace it."

And that's the thing... that "weirdo" label can, in a society that celebrates individuality, be a positive one. In my DD's case, it helps that she has a Python-esque sense of humor, since that lends itself to the positive side of weird. There's a big difference between someone saying "OMG, you're such a weirdo!" while they're spraying milk out of their own noses, than when they're saying it out of anger or disgust.

So there's a strategy... embrace the difference, but change the context of what it means to be different.

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by greenlotus
    Well, after lots of nudging and pulling, she finally said she was concerned about being seen as strange, but that she hadn't really noticed any taunting or teasing of anyone about being smart. She said she is just producing her regular writing and not altering it.

So, she is worried about being "weird". And, she is back to noting what makes girls popular (certain tee shirts and I don't remember the other stuff). Definitely some insecurity going on.

If as your DD says, "she is just producing her regular writing and not altering it", then I wouldn't necessarily intervene. There are likely quite a few kids who take that approach and do all their writing during class or even not use the whole class time provided for revisions. You can always ask her to "alter" her regular writing for you so that you can get a sense of how much better her revised/edited writing can be if she puts in the extra time. Perhaps find out from her teachers how far beyond her classmates her writing is and whether there are any kids whose writing approaches hers. There are various competition and publishing opportunities for talented writers so those may be a better outlet for her to demonstrate her superior skills.

I have always been okay with my kids not scorching the earth on every school assignment - A's are sometimes good enough. They can use that extra time to develop their skills with other outlets or even pursue other passions.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 10/20/15 07:59 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM