Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    AvoCado Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I'm stuck. Advocating (with not much hope tbh) for grade skip for DD. I have the psych report and recommendations, compiled a portfolio, and found lots of research supporting my points and hopefully countering their possible objections, except one. DD tests ahead, in some cases by several years, in all subjects except math, where she only tracks a little ahead. She had one recent math PAT test that showed she was stanine 7 for this year and stanine 6 for the next grade (so, just above average if she were skipped) but the teacher dismissed it as not very indicative (which makes we wonder why bother doing the testing!)
    It's fast recall of the basic facts which is slowing her down (important I know, but boring) and not any issue at all with not understanding any concepts.
    I'm sure I've seen somewhere some research indicating you should align to gifted children's strengths rather than hold them back to any relative weakness but I must be using dumb search terms because can't find anything along those lines.
    Is there any such thing? I think I found some sort of reference to getting points on the IAS for scoring 50%+ on above-level testing??
    Help, ready to give up and go back to bed and just stay there cos I'm chicken laugh

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Welcome to the world of advocacy. Yep, there are lots of times when crawling under the bedclothes is exactly the only place you want to be. In truth there are times when it is where you should be, all things are easy when you are well rested. Does amazing things for reducing anxiety.

There were a few things that struck me from your post. The most important is, don't judge your child's ultimate ability in math until after they have been allowed to progress past math facts to math concepts. Some kids do great learning the automaticity of time tables etc that schools require young kids to demonstrate but they don't necessarily get algebra or trigonometry later. Your DDs true capacity for maths may not yet be visible, at least it is too soon to tell.

If you look at the whole picture and decide your DD needs a grade skip work on establishing how areas of relative weakness will be addressed.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I think you just gave yourself the answer about your child's ability in mathematics. She is unlikely to have a weakness as she enjoys advanced maths concepts. IF she simply struggles with timed tests, not the actual ability to calculate as that is a different issue, then I would hope that isn't enough to hold back a grade skip if it is otherwise appropriate and the school is otherwise willing. Battling an unwilling school or district is a different challenge again.

Read through the A Nation Deceived and A Nation Empowered. They really encompasses all the research on acceleration. Edit and select what you need including from their extensive references.

I
    I
    You've received great tips already. I'll just add a link although you may have already found it on your own...
    Acceleration Institute, which includes
    - A Nation Deceived,
    - A Nation Empowered,
    - Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS), reviewed on Hoagies Gifted Education Page here. .

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM