Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    DD10's acceleration last Spring from 4th to 5th has been fairly smooth. She is now in the same grade as her sister, DD11. We have had things happen that we had not foreseen and other events that just are sad.
    A) Sad. DD begged us to go to a concert to see her best friend from her elementary school. The two girls have maintained some contact although it seemed the friend has begun to pull away. It was evident at the concert that DD's friend, as well as the other kids DD had been friends with, have all moved on. After all, DD is now in middle school, and they are still in elementary. DD was confused and heartsick.
    B) Tricky. DD10 got into the Science Olympiad. We are waiting to find out if DD11 made it. DD10 said the test was easy. DD11 didn't think so. It's tough when kids are in the same grade, and the younger one has the potential to leap ahead.
    A)Uh oh! When school parents and I just meet, I am often asked if my 2 are twins after I state that I have 2 sixth graders (obviously the parent has never seen the 2 kids!!!). No I say, just sisters. I see a strange look on parent's faces at this point. Now maybe I am clueless, but until a mom nodded knowingly the other day and said that her son had also repeated kindergarten, I did not realize that people were assuming DD11 had been held back a year! DD11 is tall for her age so it's a reasonable thought. I shared this story with another mom whose younger son is sharing classes with his older sibling, and she is now planning for those conversations.
    Anyone else have unexpected consequences of a grade skip?

I do wonder if some of this is why the IAS specifically recommends against a whole grade acceleration into another siblings grade.

#1 happens to my DD10 independent of a grade skip. She's extremely social but also is an insatiable learner, and we can't meet both needs at the same time, so she has bounced from public school to home school. There's a kid the same age just across the street that LOVES hanging out with DD when she's in public school, and completely disowns her when she's learning at home.

We also had a near-issue with #2 regarding DD and FLL, because her school allows 5th-6th graders on the team, but she just barely made the age cut-off for competition. The coaches tended to discount her because of her age. But they paired all the kids up to work on specific missions, and luckily her older teammate didn't discount DD, and she actually ended up being a top performer.

H
    H
    #3) Does it matter that the parents understand the situation for which kid moved grades? When I am asked now, I just say the school decided that this was the best arrangement for now and then I shrug my shoulders and change the topic.

#1) Your daughter will probably find that some kids are like these ones at the concert and some will be so excited to see her. Kids move in and out of friendships all throughout school. It can be as simple as not being in the same homeroom that causes these shifts. Just continue to encourage her to socialize at school and school events and activities.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by howdy
    #3) Does it matter that the parents understand the situation for which kid moved grades? When I am asked now, I just say the school decided that this was the best arrangement for now and then I shrug my shoulders and change the topic.

#1) Your daughter will probably find that some kids are like these ones at the concert and some will be so excited to see her. Kids move in and out of friendships all throughout school. It can be as simple as not being in the same homeroom that causes these shifts. Just continue to encourage her to socialize at school and school events and activities.
    No, it doesn't matter what the parents think about acceleration - I was just surprised to find that they were making the assumption that DD11 flunked! I have explained so much about acceleration that it's become second nature to me. A good shrug is very handy!! grin
    I posted the friendship story because DD had appeared to be making new friends easily which usually does not happen. It just tore my heart out to see that she really missed her old friend in elementary. She later told me that that particular friend liked activities that other friends don't care for.
    Anyway, I was curious to hear from other parents and their kids' journeys through acceleration.

E
    E
    How about using "no, just birthdays close enough together to be in the same grade"? It's true - their birthdays are close enough together that when you skipped the younger, it was into the grade of the older. But it is certainly possible to have an older child just miss the cutoff date and the younger child make it, so they are both in the same school grade, and that's more likely to be what people will assume.

Q
    Q
    Regarding #1, that is pretty natural in general when kids move from elementary to different middle schools. As the year progresses, she will become more focused on her new friends as well.

Regarding #3, it really isn't their business. You can simply say they are both adopted and are not biological sisters. It is also not unheard of for biological siblings to be less than 12 months apart - especially if that is the case for your two DDs. Even if they are a bit more than 12 months apart, it sometimes happens that they land in the same grade anyhow.

C
    C
    When we accelerated my DS in school we left him in the same level scout group as age not grade. He was able to maintain best friend contact once a week but I do believe if we hadn't done that #1 would have happened to him. He is in middle and best friend a fifth grader this year. They do chat and play video games over the Internet about once every two weeks too.

I was the older sibling in your scenario with a year younger brother who should have been grade skipped but never was. He was eventually accelerated a math class in high school by taking two classes at the same time and I was also taking that class. I told my parents that he had to have a completely different teacher if that was going to happen....and he did but he got the one teaching one section for gifted learners and I got the crappy guy who retired at Christmas/new guy after that was good. We had same teachers as we grew up...I just didn't want same teachers in the same year...like me in third period and him in fifth. It worked out. At first I wasn't happy but I realized after a while it wasn't all about me.

A
    A
    How weird that parents would assume one child was held back a grade. I'd just assume they were born within a year! I suppose that's just my bias since my mother and aunt were, indeed, born within a year of each other (and just barely ended up in different grades).

Mine are 4 years apart in age but the older one so short, and the younger one so tall, that people often assume they're very close in age.

I hope your DD11 gets into the science olympiad if that's what will make everyone's life easier.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Life and it's changes are is always interesting Greenlotus and you may well have seen similar things that are a bit sad if you hadn't accelerated. Kids, their interests and activities and friendships, change a lot year by year. It is possible that your DD may have grown apart from her old friends anyway as her interests become more divergent. Changing friends as kids change schools is also normal and in many ways quite healthy.

We didn't have your challenges on the sibling front but we have done a lot of school changes and two accelerations and I can sympathise with you and your DD but also offer hope. My DD has never been happier or more focussed since her last grade skip. She has moved apart from a girl who everyone said was joined at the hip with my DD and that is ok. She is till friends with other kids from her previous year and years below that but she is with a group that are on the same wave length as her and she is relieved.

All change is hard and there will be bad with the good but that is life not just acceleration. While other parents responses are also interesting, it is more about ignorance than anything else. Respond with how interesting and move on!

Congratulations to you and both of your children as this has been a difficult journey and you are all doing well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM