Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 319 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #207752 12/15/14 11:58 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    The private school is on the pricey side and it would be tight.

I'm now exploring homeschool options. Those who don't homeschool through the district (where they provide the material/curriculum) how do you plan the lessons or instruction?

P
    P
    Have you visited the accelerated learners board at the well trained mind forums?

How old is your kid? My kid is 6, and except for math I'm not using any curricula or lesson plans at all. We do a certain amount of math and her reading aloud to me each day (she's still not a fluent reader, at least not of books at her level of interest). Other than that, our agenda is to Learn Stuff. I limit her screen time and I've enrolled her in a lot of enrichment classes, and I read to her a ton and we talk about lots of things. At this age I don't think it much matters what they're learning, as long as they're learning a broad range of stuff about the world.

G
    G
    If I could "like" MegMeg's post I would. For younger kids, homeschooling can be quite unstructured. If you look back through some of my old posts, you will see a list of some of the things we did. I can recapitulate some of them here. My goal was to have it be interest-led. We raised butterflies, mummified a chicken, grew crystals, did science experiments, fermented mead, baked hardtack, read myths and fairy tales, watched documentaries, went to museums, went fossil hunting, attended plays and ballets, and read, read, read. We always had an audiobook going in the car. I miss those days!

For hardcore academics, I used dreambox.com or EPGY for math, and Reading Eggs, for my dyslexic kiddo (which eventually didn't work, but got me to the point where I figured out he was probably dyslexic.) That is the short version.

Now DYS 12 takes online classes -- Latin, Dystopian Lit, Pre-Algebra, and writing -- at such places as OnlineG3, CTY, and Lone Pine Latin. And both kids do a lot of extracurriculars like choir, chess, and instrumental ensemble.

Here are some links to blog posts that I wrote:

http://talkingsticklearningcenter.org/homeschooling-in-philly-the-pleasure-of-learning/

http://talkingsticklearningcenter.org/i-homeschool-but-i-dont-teach-my-kids/

I
    I
    You've received great advice above. I'll just add that this is a relatively frequent topic so there are other threads with resources which may be interest, including If we homeschool, what's the 1st step

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Have you visited the accelerated learners board at the well trained mind forums?

I haven't, thank you for letting me know about it.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    My daughter is 8 and in 3rd grade. She's currently in a self-contained gifted class but is unhappy, in particular with the math. We recently looked at a very small independent school and she did a two day shadow where she felt like she actually learned something. Dh and I are still in discussion as to what we should do. Part of me thinks that she's 8 and how much can it matter what she's learning. The other part thinks this is just a downward spiral that will set her back and teach her that you learn nothing in school.

Financially the private school would be tight but I learned that she could re-enter the gifted program, granted there is space (which I don't see being a huge issue because it's not full now). The other option is to homeschool which I don't know how good of a job I could do without an actual curriculum to follow and tell me what to do. lol

She is very strong in math despite receiving little to no actual instruction in school. They are expected to be independent and 'figure things out' on their own. She enjoys math when it's presented in a way she likes. At home she is more driven to writing and planning plays, she has been working on her current play for the past 4 weeks.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I wanted to add that the small independent school we are considering uses Core Knowledge and it seems her current school is moving more towards Common Core every year.

S
    S
    My 8yo is in second grade, and we have been after-schooling since he was six with homeschool materials. There are SO many curriculum options for gifted children. It's a smorgasbord out there. It does take some time to research and figure it all out, and I second the recommendation of the WTM boards, but yeah. The stuff available for homeschool instruction blows the stuff for in-school learning out of the water IMO, especially when it comes to materials that are designed to match the pacing and depth that gifted kiddos thrive on.

L
    L
    I know of two, my friend who is homeschooling her PG child in Lousiana.

IEW http://iew.com/

and
    http://www.kolbe.org/

I too want to take the plunge but stop short as I like the interactions with other kids and teachers my DS has, some of it good some of it a learning experience!

All the Best!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM