Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #169164 09/26/13 07:29 AM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Well, we had our meeting yesterday with DD's teacher, Principal, and the district TAG curriculum person. The only person missing was the TAG teacher! Not sure why she wasn't there. Principal tried to call her and was unable to locate her.
    So, that kind of limited what we could plan. They wanted to look at DD's CoGAT scores and base things off of those scores rather than the WISC-IV scores. Which later caused me to wonder why the WISC-IV scores wouldn't be more indicative of future academic success.

They did offer to pre-test math units. We did discuss the possibility of having her subject accelerate in reading, which we may revisit in a month. They haven't started their reading curriculum yet. And, I'm not sure what grade she'd be placed in for reading.

So, we left with a few positive signs, but wondering where the TAG teacher was.
    Makes sending out the action points in an email kind of awkward if I send it to everyone. My DH suggested sending her an email directly, but I don't feel comfortable with that, could come off as condescending.

As a result of the missing teacher and the "data" they wanted, I'll be bringing a binder with any and all tests that DD has taken. I did bring the WISC-IV tests, and got them out and referred to them, but there was little interest:-(

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Gardengirl09
    Well, we had our meeting yesterday with DD's teacher, Principal, and the district TAG curriculum person. The only person missing was the TAG teacher! Not sure why she wasn't there. Principal tried to call her and was unable to locate her.
    So, that kind of limited what we could plan. They wanted to look at DD's CoGAT scores and base things off of those scores rather than the WISC-IV scores. Which later caused me to wonder why the WISC-IV scores wouldn't be more indicative of future academic success.

They did offer to pre-test math units. We did discuss the possibility of having her subject accelerate in reading, which we may revisit in a month. They haven't started their reading curriculum yet. And, I'm not sure what grade she'd be placed in for reading.

So, we left with a few positive signs, but wondering where the TAG teacher was.
    Makes sending out the action points in an email kind of awkward if I send it to everyone. My DH suggested sending her an email directly, but I don't feel comfortable with that, could come off as condescending.

As a result of the missing teacher and the "data" they wanted, I'll be bringing a binder with any and all tests that DD has taken. I did bring the WISC-IV tests, and got them out and referred to them, but there was little interest:-(

That's odd that they somehow think the CoGat score is more relevant than the WISC IV profile. Maybe they're not aware of the fact that the CoGat was never meant to be used as a tool in the same way as an individual IQ test; maybe they're unaware of the fact that it often underestimates a child's ability; maybe they're suspicious of outside testing. Whatever the case, I would try to edify, gently, those involved.

But really...who in the heck thinks the WISC IV should be discounted and the CoGat relied upon????

Last edited by KADmom; 09/26/13 08:06 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by master of none
    I think you can send a summary email thanking each attendee and reviewing what was decided and what is yet to be worked out until the TAG teacher is able to participate.
    I would agree, and cc the TAG teacher if you have her e-mail address. Good for her to have the info, too.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks! I've cc'd the TAG teacher. Hopefully we can meet with her to hear what her plan might be.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM