Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #162820 07/23/13 03:42 PM
    OP Offline
    DD finished 2nd grade back in June, for the past 3 years I have been asking her, 'what did you learn today at school?', occasionally. DD has always given me the 'deer in the headlights' look and avoided answering. Just the other evening the penny finally dropped; she wasn't answering because she was never told something at school that she didn't already know.

How dense have I been? LOL

Does anyone else have any similar experiences that they would care to share?

Become what you are
    My question for DD was "what did you like about school/camp/activity this day/week"

Same result, though.

Another one--

What we say: "We only want you to do your best, honey. The results will take care of themselves if you just do your best."

What she hears: "If you do your best, you'll earn 100%. You always have. Therefore, your best is always 100%. You should never earn less than 100% on anything, and if you do, it's because you didn't give it your best effort." Oh, and also; "even on those tasks that require only a slapdash effort and a third of your full attention for a few seconds, you should do YOUR BEST. Yes, 15% of that effort is technically all that is probably needed, but you should DO YOUR BEST all the time."

eek

Wish that I'd figured THAT one out a long, long time before I actually did. Years of hearing that subtly perverted message internally have led DD to think that the entire outside world holds her to a standard of perfection that is kinda impossible.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    G
    G
    On the "doing your best":

At one point we mapped out effort and results for a whole bunch of different tasks. We drew out little thermometers, and talked about what things needed 100% effort (timed arithmetic tests), what needed 85% effort (most longer assignments that tend to be more difficult), and what can have ~50% effort (silent reading time). We then mapped what kind of score was appropriate for each task, gauged on DD's particular strengths and weaknesses, and if the effort level wasn't getting the expected results, it was time to change the form of the effort -- change approach -- not necessarily the effort level.

I don't ask what was learned either. I do think my kids learn at school, though they aren't exactly aware of it. I ask specifics "what did you write about today?" "what are you working on in math?" instead.

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Whenever I asked my son that, he would always reply, "I don't know...". Now, I ask, "What is something new you learnt at school today?". Most of the time it's nothing, but occasionally (and it makes me feel a bit sad), he gets so excited because he learned ONE new thing at school- everything he gets taught should be new!

N
    N
    My mother asked me that question every day and the answer was the same every day...nothing. While some go into school knowing more than others, I do not think that I spent 13 years (K-12) in school and learned absolutely nothing. I was not interested in answering a question that might require an answer of more than a few words.

M
    M
    I have two kids who answer "nothing" when asked what they did at school today. One is HG+ and grade skipped and thriving, the other is MG but seriously 2E and doesn't remotely look gifted at school. They just don't seem to be either interested in retelling, or able to figure out what to retell about their days. My 3yr old is now better at recounting her day than the grade 2 or grade 6 child... I know other folks with HG+ kids who give them excruciating details about every minute of the day until the parents' ears are bleeding... I don't know that this is about giftedness so much as personality...

I have done the same questioning in the past - what did you learn today, anything new and exciting happen? When each of our girls were in pre-school and kindergarten they would usually answer with enthusiasm and eagerness, but that was about as far as it went. Now both girls give me the same answer as the rest of you have said - nothing! Last school year I changed my question to - can you tell me something that happened at school today? I at least got some response to this line of questioning, but it was always something they did at recess or something another student did in class, etc. It was never anything truly academic in nature. The only thing I recall at all from the last school year, was DD9 telling me they finally got around to division towards the end of the year. I asked if she was excited about getting to do division finally and she bluntly told me - "No Mom, it is just the opposite of multiplication, and besides, I already know how to divide and I don't like math!" Awww out of the mouths of babes!
    At the end of the last school year I met with DD9's teachers for the next school year to try to build some rapport and just as a "heads up" she is coming your way. I told them flat out that it has been a very long time since DD has come home excited about anything she is learning at school. She used to be so excited and interested and now seems to not really care at all. It is so sad to see this in my child and not know how to help her get her enthusiasm for learning back.

E
    E
    I ask a question I picked up here: "What questions did you ask at school today?" Even if she doesn't remember any, I think it sets an appropriate tone. smile

Z
    Z
    I got some good results with: "So what's something new that you know that you don't think I know?" but not with "what did you learn."

S
    S
    I stopped asking that, too. Instead, I ask what was their high, low, and what did they do that was kind?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM