Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    I spoke with a clinical psychologist today who specializes in gifted education. Because he is not an in-network provider and does not accept insurance, we discussed different avenues we could take to maybe lessen the cost. He suggested trying to get the school psychologist to administer the Woodcock Johnson to have to bring to our currently tentative appointment on 2/28.

A school psych intern administered the KABC-II in October of 2011. I have always questioned the accuracy of DS's scores based on the intern doing the test as well as the comment she made to his teacher that she thought he may have scored higher if he had warmed up to her sooner.

So...I would need a report back by 2/27. And I am not sure the best way to go about asking for it. I am always afraid of being "that parent." And I do not want my aggravations (that I won't go into here) to show. How do I request this... and that i do not want an intern to do it & i need it soon? And...Do I go to his teacher (who may be offended) or the counselor or straight to the school psych or principal? As a former SpEd teacher, I feel like I should know this. Lol! Thanks in advance for any advice.

If the principal is approachable, I'd go there first. You could always say that you needed the data because you're filling out an application for an advanced summer camp for your son and they need these results by the 27th or you miss the deadline. You may want to add that they require the test be administered by a licensed person, rather than the intern, and could they please help you with not hurting the interns feelings, since you understand how hard it is learning the job etc. etc. etc.

I've used that approach before and it works well, especially if you can give a few brief details about a camp or program that would require a test result, but not enough to allow them to look it up.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM