Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #127746 04/19/12 07:27 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Had the first discussion of the year with the kids about what they want to work on learning over the summer. My daughter wants to learn French, of all things!
    I can't really say not to that, of course. But I do not speak a word of French. Any ideas for good resources to help her learn? I don't even know where to start!

C
    C
    The ideal thing, I guess, would be a French playgroup or something - in my city there is a French Institute that runs play sessions "in" French, I believe, mostly for French families living here but also welcoming children wanting to learn French. If that's impossible, you could try one of the DVD-based French learning packs, e.g. Salut Serge. We have this one and I quite like it, but I couldn't really say DS learned much French before he started learning it at school; otoh, he never especially wanted to, so ymmv.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    L
    L
    I don't know if it would work well for your DD to learn right from this site, but it may be helpful for you to get a feel for the pronunciation and basic vocabulary: http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/

S
    S
    Rosetta stone? Live mocha?

Call the high schools and ask to speak with the French teacher and see if he/she has any leads?

Just a silly, hire a French nanny?

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hahaha! I wish I could afford to hire a French nanny! That would make this whole process far easier!

Muzzy. Or Any kind of Music in French. The local French teacher organized a once a week enrichment class that DS enjoyed for a few years of elementary school. Good Luck. Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    Warning: Muzzy looks very, very dated these days. We quite enjoyed it, but a media-savvy 5yo might not.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    R
    R
    Well, I am French and I may say : what a strange idea to learn French at such an early age smile
    I hope your DS is not dyslexic because French is an anti-dyslexic based language .... (lot of things that are written different ways but pronouced the same, conjugation,a lot of exceptions to rules) .... A real hell even for a normal child ... This said and as a consequence, learning French is challenging and therefore can be appealing for gifted kids (well, not for mine :() . And of course, French is the most beautiful language of all ... Just kidding !

I have not the time right now to see if I can find things to help you, but you may google "French as a foreign language for children" or searching on canadian ressources especially from Quebec.
    In france, the translation for "French as a foreign language " is "Français langue étrangère" (abbreviation : FLE). A first approach on internet ressources may be : http://www.lepointdufle.net/french-learning-material.htm. This site http://www.lepointdufle.net is all about FLE. On amazon, I guess you can find a lot of material like books, music for kids in English and French, DVD or soft. My children (5 and 7) especially love the Mia sofwares. I do not have tried this one about initiation to English and spanish for French speaking kids ... but may be the French for English speakers exists ....
    Anyway, of course the best thing is actually to speak French with French or French speaking people.

If it comes you need occasionl translation or so, you can private mail me. I cannot promise to answer in a minute, but I will try as best as I can.

Last edited by raoulpetite; 04/20/12 12:28 PM.

R
    R

Originally Posted by raoulpetite
    Anyway, of course the best thing is actually to speak French with French or French speaking people.

Agreed, unless it's the wrong French-speaking person. I took two years of French in high school and outpaced the rest of the class by a country mile. Unfortunately, my teacher was an American with a strong accent on her French. I could understand her perfectly, but if I hear French spoken by anyone else, I'm lost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM