Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    We just moved states and our 5 year old took a test called MAP in school. The teacher called us in and informed us that our kid was in the 99th percentile in math and reading and recommended that she join an gifted/accelerated class for 1st grade.

Our kid is a fun loving girl and loves to do a bunch of thiungs (Swimming, Dance, music etc). I am thus not too sure about putting her in a academic intensive program.

Seek your guidance.

S
    S
    Does that mean right this minute or that is her recommendation for next year? Why don't you go talk to the new class's teacher and see if you can observe?

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    I would present it in a positive light to your daughter, and ask if she'd like to be moved to a class where she can get more interesting work. She can do all the extracurriculu/nonacademic activities you listed as well as being in a gifted class, and I'd trust the teacher on her recommendation for a more appropriately challenging environcment unless you have a specific reason not to.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    S
    S
    Agreed with Lucounu. Perhaps this represents a positive all around. She may well find this work much more enjoyable, or at the least no more taxing than her current environment. I doubt at this age it would impact her time for extracurricular activities, and if the issue comes up down the road, you will have time to think it through and plan with your daughter. It's very possible to have enjoyable sports and creative pursuits while also having a stimulating education.

If your child scored 99% on the MAP, it likely means she can already read pretty well and do basic math and may be entirely underchallenged in a regular 1st grade classroom. Also, accelerated and GT classroom doesn't necessarily mean academic intensive. For example, there is less homework at my son's GT school than there was when he was in the regular classroom. They are accelerated at least a year (so, e.g., they do 4th grade math instead of 3rd, so they're learning more appropriate material). I would investigate further into what the GT program is like if I were you. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Here's more info on NWEA MAP:
    See p. 55 for Reading percentiles, RIT score; p. 67 for math. NWEA MAP norms

then plug the RIT numbers in here to see the types of things your DD is ready for: RIT info

F
    F
    WOW I would have loved that choice for my kinder ds! Do you have her scores to share?

For her, "intensive" is probably "fun" and "interesting."

Here is a success story for a GT girl.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...t-15-already-heading-to-mit-1406226.html

I'd go observe the GT class. You might find that your child even outperforms most of the kids in there. Or even let her spend a day or two trying it out.

Some literature.

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/What_is_Gifted/learned.htm

Gifted girls and gifted boys have different coping mechanisms and are likely to face different problems. Gifted girls hide their abilities and learn to blend in with other children. In elementary school they direct their mental energies into developing social relationships; in junior high school they are valued for their appearance and sociability rather than for their intelligence.

Gifted children have better social adjustment in classes with children like themselves. The brighter the child, the lower his or her social self-concept is likely to be in the regular classroom. Social self-concept improves when children are placed with true peers in special classes.

http://www.sengifted.org/archives/a...girls-in-elementary-and-secondary-school

Kramer (1985) found that teachers were usually able to identify gifted boys, but were often surprised to learn that a girl was considered smart. The gifted girls in her study were very successful at hiding their intelligence and in silencing their voices. In another analysis of research about adult perceptions of girls’ intelligence, Myra and David Sadker (1994) stated that “study after study has shown that adults, both teachers and parents, underestimate the intelligence of girls”

http://www.aboutourkids.org/articles/gifted_girls_many_gifted_girls_few_eminent_women_why

Many researchers have documented a gradual loss of self-esteem in girls as they progress through school. The slide for gifted girls starts early. Between grades 3 and 8 most gifted girls' self-concept declines significantly, and by adolescence many gifted girls suffer a marked lack of self-confidence.

I just wanted to add, that my son is skipped by a grade into an accelerated program that works 1 year ahead and with a much deeper curriculum. He loves it. He has little homework. Even the middle school kids only have 30 min a night. He also gets 2 hours a day of recess.

Last edited by Austin; 02/17/12 12:54 PM.
    V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Thank you for all the feedback. I did not get the scores. But I will ask.

As st_paul_girl indicated my kid can read pretty well and do some basic algebra I do not think she is "gifted". I have not seen her do anything extra-ordinary like do complex equations or anything else.

Only unusual thing I have noted is her musical taste. She seems to like only Opera.

How can one tell if she is gifted or is accelerated classes for the non-gifted as well?

C
    C
    Originally Posted by VR00
    As st_paul_girl indicated my kid can read pretty well and do some basic algebra I do not think she is "gifted". I have not seen her do anything extra-ordinary like do complex equations or anything else.
    Keep in mind that this is a kindergartener you are have here! Understanding basic algebra in kindergarten is very atypical and complex equations are not expected of gifted five year olds. Gifted and one in a million prodigy aren't the same thing although the one in a million kid certainly is gifted. All gifted kids aren't that far out there, but they do have different needs none the less. Have you taken a look @ Hoagie's website at all yet: http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/gifted_101.htm

How can one tell if she is gifted or is accelerated classes for the non-gifted as well?
    Where I live, accelerated or gifted classes are primarily filled with bright but non-gifted kids, so I'd say that, yes, they are designed to meet a broader spectrum of needs than just those of the gifted or highly gifted. The further out of the norm the child, the less these classes actually meet their needs. In your instance, like others have said, I'd want to know more about the admission criteria for the program and what it looks like to know whether it is a program designed solely for gifted kids or also for high achievers who may not be gifted and how they differentiate for differing levels of giftedness.

Re how you can tell is she is gifted, aside from things like IQ testing, I think that a good place to start is to read up on some of the characteristics of giftedness and see how they fit your daughter. That is what helped me realize that my oldest was gifted when she was six. She, too, wasn't writing symphonies or solving quadratic equations at that age, but she is highly gifted.

Some of my favorite articles are:

http://www.stephanietolan.com/is_it_a_cheetah.htm

http://www.bertiekingore.com/high-gt-create.htm

http://www.giftedteam.org/pdf/links/Understand_What_Giftedness_Is_and_What_It_Is_Not-Delisle.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM