Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Just got back from the meeting to discuss the results of my son's RIAS scores and I'm not quite sure what to make of all of this. My ds has proven to be an extremely bright child in school and was recommended to be tested for gifted. He is the top reader in his first grade class and is reading at about a 4th grade level. His district requirements in math and reading both scoring 100 which is well above the class/grade level and district average. He scored 125 on the KBIT II (not sure what that is all about but told it is above average). The problem I am wondering is regarding his RIAS test where he scored a VIX of 133 and NIX of 116 putting his CIX at 128...just missing the gifted program requirement of 130. They do plan to re-test next year so I am thinking to wait until next year to see how the re-test comes out or if there is something else I should do? There is no doubt that he is gifted and I would like for his needs to be met so I want to be the advocate for him but I am not sure I would know how.

I would see if you can talk to the GT director/coordinator (whoever is in charge) and see if he can be admitted on a trial basis.

Is he unhappy in the classroom or have any trouble? If not I wouldn't stress about it. Some kids under perform the first time they take a test like that, since it's so different than anything they've been presented with before.

~amy
    A
    A
    Both the KBIT-2 and RIAS are brief IQ tests. It's possible he'd do better on a longer test, or on a retest either because he's more familiar with what it's like or because his initial score underestimated his true ability.

Or it's possible that he's extremely bright, but not 2-standard-deviations-out gifted.

Two points under the cutoff on the RIAS and five under on the KBIT are something worth arguing about. Both tests are of the quick-assessment variety, taking 20 minutes or so to administer, with really low discontinue thresholds that can cause a child to be underestimated. If a child misses two consecutive questions on a section, that can be the end of that section.

I like epoh's suggestion of asking for the GT program on a trial basis, citing the test scores and their tendency to err on the low side.

I'd also suggest that you talk to them about testing him with a more comprehensive test like the WISC-IV... or if they won't do that, take him to a private psychologist for that kind of testing. There are two potentially useful takeaways from this exercise... you may come back with a higher score on a more accurate assessment, which you can use to champion for him at the school for more interventions. You may also uncover a weakness that you could help him address, setting him up for success on a gifted screening next year.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by epoh
    I would see if you can talk to the GT director/coordinator (whoever is in charge) and see if he can be admitted on a trial basis.

Is he unhappy in the classroom or have any trouble? If not I wouldn't stress about it. Some kids under perform the first time they take a test like that, since it's so different than anything they've been presented with before.

I'd also point out to the gifted coordinator that the VIX *is* above the 130 cutoff, so he may very well need the gifted services, at least in the verbal domain. The lower NIX does nothing to change the fact that he is gifted verbally.

I do notice that there is a standard deviation of difference between that VIX score and the NIX - any indication ever of problems with vision or visual processing? If there is a disability or impairment that is depressing his non-verbal score, that certainly shouldn't be counted against him.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you all for all of your responses! My ds does not have major problems in the classroom this year (last year he seemed to have some random outbursts) but he does have some issues sitting still especially lately and ds is saying how easy the work is so I am just hoping that it won't get any worse. The school he attends has one day/week pull out for 1-3rd grade so I'm not sure if he would really be missing out on anything and I take some comfort in knowing that all the teachers at the school are gifted certified. He does not have any visual processing problems as he was tested before kindergarten (hes in 1st now) and scored in 87% visual processing on the Woodcock Johnson III.

The school psychologist seems pretty confident in her scoring on the RIAS but said that she would test again next year as it could change by a few points and he would be turning 8 which is a better age for testing. I am thinking to wait and see the next time around and if again he misses the mark by a few points to see what my options are with the school and possibly have him tested privately with WISC-IV.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM